smenkhare

Hi all

From the completed photos i've seen i REALLY like the RV-10 as well as the availability of builders sites.

however I am currently leaning towards the zodiac CH-640 solely because it has a yoke instead of a stick.

question is, can the RV-10 be converted to this style of control and if so how easily?

thanks.
Peter

Yoke vs. Stick

Peter:

Having flown and owned lots of yoke airplanes (C-182, C-177, Super Viking, etc) for more than 1200 hours when I started flying my RV-6A it was really different getting used to the stick. By the time I decided to build an RV-10 I was in love with the stick and never have considered going back to a yoke.

However if you would prefer to drive a Suburan vs. a Corvette you might like a yoke a lot better.

As to converting the RV-10 linkage to a yoke I suspect it would be a really big job and if the deciding factor for you is the yoke go with the CH-640.

Don't let the yoke -v- stick be the "sole reason" for deciding which airplane to build. I was concerned going from my Ran's "ultralight's" to a Cessna 172 for my pilot's license. It was simply a non-event. I was able to take the controls of the 172 on the second "circuit" and do a touch & go with no problems at all.

Obviously, you have to do what you have to do, but transisioning to a yoke to a stick should not be your sole deciding factor. Just focus on the plane and flying it, the input into the controls becomes instinctive, and a non event.

IMHO select a kit based on reputation of vendor, customer support reputation, builder support, potential resale value, finacial status of company, ease of assembly, AND! you get to hang out at one of the best dang builder's website on the web. (a shameless plug for VAF. :) )

Last edited:
What's your mission?

IMHO the primary factor should be deciding if the plane fits your particular flying requirements. Things such as: distance, useful load, speed, service ceiling, rate of climb, fuel consumption, aesthetics, are just a few. A quick check of the performance specs of both aircraft indicate that apart from them both having 4 seats, there are wide differences in their performance profile. Study the performance carefuly and decide because you will live with what ever performance the plane delivers a LOT longer than it will take you to adapt to a control linkage/set-up

It is normal to be concerned about a transition from wheel to stick, or vice versa. Many people have expressed this concern. But, in practice, it is pretty close to a non-event. I know many pilots who have made the transition, and everyone gets over it very quickly. Some people take 20 minutes, some take a couple of flights.

Go rent a Diamond DA-20 Katana, or DA-40 for an hour or two. That'll give you a better handle on the stick vs wheel issue. Then you can make a decision based on the aircraft performance, handling, kit quality, kit cost, kit company, resale value, etc.

I agree with the comments above. However, I actually was disappointed to find a yoke in the CH640. It looks like a nice, somewhat more economical 2+2 (meaning smaller back seat) than the full sized 4 seat RV-10. Being able to use a less expensive O-360 vs. the 540 interested me and met my performance needs. Other than that - The other folks here hit it on the head when they reference company/support/reputation and other issues.

I have only an occasional need for a third seat... But the build cost ultimately for an RV-10 are out of reach for me.

MY "dream Plane" would be what I call a "Stretch-9". It would be an updated RV-9 with a small back seat for a third adult or two kids... and of course stressed for acro! :D

Even though I built and fly a CH640, I still sneak onto the RV forums because there are a lot of builders with excellent ideas that are useful in building just about any aircraft. Choosing an airplane is a very personnal thing, and one persons dream project is anothers absolute nightmare. I fly a lot of IFR and my lap is always like a desk top with charts, flightplan etc layed out. Although I may be misguided, my impression was that the stick would get in the way more than a yoke, and that was one reason (minor) for choosing the CH640. Like others have said, choose the plane based upon your overall mission, budget, ease of build, quality of kit and factory support etc., and not any single factor like a yoke or stick. In the long haul you'll adapt to things like a stick vs yoke very quickly, but if the plane doesn't have the performance, load, operating expenses, and flying qualities that you want you will never be completely satisfied with your choice. If the kit is less than ideal, poorly docummented, more of a challenge to build than you were willing to commit to, or the factory and builder support network are poor, you will likely never finish the project. Talk to builders, try and get a ride in any airplane you are considering, and enjoy what is really one of the most important stages in building your own airplane.

Steve Adams
Zodiac CH640, N621J

Hello, Peter!

First: Tell me how warm it is over there in Australia right now! It's 25F here in Dallas and I'm FREEZING!!!!

Second: As several of the other folks have said it is really a non-event. Speaking from my personal experience, I had zero time with a stick before I began transition training for my RV-6. That TT time actual was my tailwheel endorsement and transition training all wrapped into one.

After about 15 minutes you just 'get it' for lack of a better description. Now I'm completely comfortable with the stick and a yoke feels 'funny'. I'm sure after a half hour or so I'd feel comfortable again, though.

Now, just to mix things up a few times over the past three months I've flown around from the RIGHT seat, which forces me to change hands on the stick and throttle. It felt VERY STRANGE for the first five or so touch and go's and now feels pretty normal.

I'll end with an offer that if you are ever in the states (particularly the north Texas area) I'll take you flying my RV-6 from either seat for an hour. I bet you'll have a good deal of confidence after that. Dinner is on me!

Best always,
Doug

Yokes ---- Sprockets, cables, pulleys, chains, & slop

Sticks ---- Push pull tubes with ball bearings, and precision
movements! :D

DeltaRomeo said:
Hello, Peter!

First: Tell me how warm it is over there in Australia right now! It's 25F here in Dallas and I'm FREEZING!!!!

Second: As several of the other folks have said it is really a non-event. Speaking from my personal experience, I had zero time with a stick before I began transition training for my RV-6. That TT time actual was my tailwheel endorsement and transition training all wrapped into one.

After about 15 minutes you just 'get it' for lack of a better description. Now I'm completely comfortable with the stick and a yoke feels 'funny'. I'm sure after a half hour or so I'd feel comfortable again, though.

Now, just to mix things up a few times over the past three months I've flown around from the RIGHT seat, which forces me to change hands on the stick and throttle. It felt VERY STRANGE for the first five or so touch and go's and now feels pretty normal.

I'll end with an offer that if you are ever in the states (particularly the north Texas area) I'll take you flying my RV-6 from either seat for an hour. I bet you'll have a good deal of confidence after that. Dinner is on me!

Best always,
Doug

First: here it is 35C (wanna swap)?

second: once i get a job i think i'll be going for the RV 10

third: thanks a lot for the offer, but as much i'd like to, i think the chances of me going to the states (especially the south) will be pretty slim for the next few years. (will be spending all my money on the RV :p)