ajay

Guys,

Don't think this is sacreligious, but I'm thinking about a compair "Comp Monster" CA-4. I wish I could go with an RV, great community and product rep, but my mission utility is more bush, utility, and floats. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Comp Air or ever flown one of their piston variants? The CA-4 got a lot of attention 10 years ago, but seemed to have gotten overshadowed by Comp Air's foray into turbines.

any info or experience would be appreciated,

aj

aj,
I toured the Aerocomp factory back in 2000 and came away unimpressed with their setup. I haven't flown one (I was particualry interested in a Compair-6 or 7) but did pour over the couple that were at the Merritt Island airport and a few more at the next couple of Sun-n-Funs. Fit and finish were not bad, but not up to RV standards IMO. What I liked about them were their interior space and useful load. What I didn't like was cruise performance which, based upon hard digging, was C-182 at best. I wasn't real thrilled about the work involved constructing a 100% composite airframe either. When Van started the -10's development, I lost all interest in Aerocomp. I wanted a fast cruiser and that's not the Compair's mission set.

Another option is the Murphy Super Rebel or Moose. They are aluminum construction and have similar specs (which is why I'm not building one).

Todd

Last edited:
I seriously looked at the CompAir 6 and 7

to me, the construction they use is more luike a fiberglass boat. Very heavy, with a lot of glass used to make connect points smooth - instead of just good engineering.

Mostly, I chose Vans because there really isn't a CompAir community out there to help - and I didn't feel warm and fuzzy about the people at the company when I met them. But man, would I like some floats!

Different

ajay said:
Guys,

Don't think this is sacreligious, but I'm thinking about a compair "Comp Monster" CA-4. I wish I could go with an RV, great community and product rep, but my mission utility is more bush, utility, and floats. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Comp Air or ever flown one of their piston variants? The CA-4 got a lot of attention 10 years ago, but seemed to have gotten overshadowed by Comp Air's foray into turbines.

any info or experience would be appreciated,

aj
Two totally different types of planes and missions, but you know that. RV-10 is for fast travel for 4 and great handling and performance. The plane you sound like you fancy is a large rough, back country plane, where speed and handling are secondary to STOL.

I have to point out the RV-10 takes off and lands fairly short. I suppose if you want to run off a dedicated rougher strips (not wild unapproved off-field gravel bars and dirt roads and fields) you could put larger tires and fairings on and take a little speed hit. Just a thought. The T/O and landing gnd roll for a RV-10 is take off 360 ft, landing 525 ft. A C-180, take off 625 ft, landing 480 ft. The point is the RV-10 is no slouch for short fields. I guess you know about RV's. The reason they are popular is the fairly low stall speed and associated semi-STOL performance. The RV-10 stall is 57 mph (49.6 kts), the C-180 is 48 kts. The RV-10 is by no means a Bush plane, but it can handle prepaired dirt. You could always oversize the tires and put large fairings on and loose a lot of top end for a little better rough filed operations. No one has done that but I think it is possible. However when you get use to going fast it is hard to slow down.

If you want a flying truck, hauler, bush plane you have a lot of off used off the shelf planes. You can buy them for less than it takes to make one. There are the C180, 182, 185, 206, Husky, Maule to name a few.

I am guessing it is not all performance you are after. I just am assuming you like the looks, are a high-wing man.

If I was going to build a slow, low, STOL 4 place bush / float plane I would go for a rag and tube fuselage like the bear hawk, that was suggested. Looks are not everything. You don't need a seamless look on a slow plane.

The Comp Air may look cool but the fiberglass thing does not dove tail well with the mission. It is great for a Lancair where they can make very complex compound curves and super smooth surface to milk a few extra MPH out of the airframes top speed. The need to get a few extra MPH out of a Bush plane is overridden by rugged and easily repaired.

A tube fuselage is so much better and stronger, especially for crash worthiness. If you are flying out of back country, on the back side of the power curve with fields that give you little options or margins, I want a steel cage around me. To be honest bush planes crash, a lot. Also a ONE PIECE fuselage, fiberglass is a mess if you damage part of it.

Just my opinion a bush plane should have Tubes and Rag. I am fine with an aluminum wing on a Tube truss fuselage. In fact that is ideal the combo of structure. The Glastar follows that philosophy in a way, it uses a steel truss, fiberglass and aluminum (wing) all in one plane. A neat idea, but not sure about it. May be too complicated to have all three in one plane.

Good luck. Take a look at the RV-10. If you don't mind the looks or the idea of a low wing you have to crawl on top of to enter the plane, the performance is hard to beat, by any 4 place plane, bush or otherwise.

Last edited:
Bearhawk, rv-10 options?

Thanks for the responses and yes I have considered the Bearhawk and rv-10 options. The biggest weaknesses of both the Bearhawk and the AeroComp is a small following, the Bearhawk has at least an active user group (why else would i be posting on an rv user group da??). The rv-10 would be very sweet for the very reasons that George brings up, especially the cruise and nearly stol performance. The show stopper is no float option, sure it is experimental but I don't want to be THE experiment. I don't want to spend an extra 1200 hours of biuld time making it work. Although I'm not afraid of a low wing float plane, one of the coolest was the Lockheed Sirius which the Lindberghs flew around the world.

My leaning would go to the Bearhawk, a better educated user community, seems to have the optimal 4:1 performance range, and practical rag and tube fuselage design. The Aero comp gets my preference, however, because of the one shop flexibility of the company in supporting floats to extended range tanks. I think the 182 similarity is a complement. I don't buy the argument outright that their glass formula is sloppy and heavy, they seem to have a proven track record and good heritage. Just testing the waters to see if anyone has any firsthand experience (ok, 2nd hand gossip is cool too)?

Keep the advice/suggestions coming!

aj

Wipaire floats

Hi AJ,
Click this link for a real eye opener.

http://www.airtractor.com/press/fireboss.htm Leland Snow of Air Tractor fame built and designed an 800 gallon firefighting SEAT taildragger (Single engine air tanker, the AT 802) and Wipaire made floats for it!! It can now scoop water from a lake or river while on the step and pull up and go dump.

An RV10 on floats is really not a big deal if you want it. I'd even consider calling Wipaire,
Regards,

Wipaire vs superfloats

Well at least by price alone;

wipline floats series 2350 $20,500
aerocomp float kit SF2300 $8,795

not including rigging and installation

Ravin, 4 passenger. 195 KTS cruise. 2000+ mile range

I saw this airplane and the US distributor at Sun-n-Fun.

Other discussion here

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=8234&highlight=ravin

The price sheet that I got at Sun-n-Fun states the kit is $89,865.00

www.ravinaircraftusa.com

Here are the specs.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Basic specifications:[/font]

Aircraft Type: 4-Seat cruiser, conventional
Wing span: 10,40m (34ft 2 in)
Wing Area: 14,6 sq m (157 sq ft)
Empty Weight: 850 kg (1870 lb)
Max take-off Weight: 1620 kg (3564 lb)
Aircraft Length: 7,42 m (24 ft 4 ins)
Engine: Lycoming IO540 (194kW, 260h)
Fuel Capacity: 160 US gal integral wing tanks
Max power loading: 8.35 kg/sq m (22.7 lb/hp)
Max wing loading: 111 kg/sq m (22.7 lb/sq ft)
Max level speed (sea level ISA): 210 kts (242 mph)
IAS Cruise speed (75% power): 185 kts (213 mph)
IAS Optimum cruise (75%@ 6500 ft): 196 kts (226 mph)
TAS Stall speed clean @ max weight: 64 kts IAS (75 mph)
IAS Stall speed with flaps,gear down: 56 kts IAS (64 mph)
IAS Fuel consumption @ 75% power: 14.1 US gal/hr
Range with 10% fuel reserve: 2000 naut miles (2300 stat miles)
Best Rate of Climb speed: 120mph
Best Angle of Climb speed: 90mph
Best rate of climb: 1500 ft per min
VNE 285mph
Cabin dimensions:
Cabin height: 45"
Cabin width: 45"
Cabin length (from hat rack to firewall): 8' 2"
(from hat rack to instrument panel): 6' 10"

Last edited:
Why not look at the Rebel or Super Rebel?

Super Rebel
One of our local builders is about 90% into an IO-540 powered Rebel. Man, that thing is BIG!

Six seats, good speed, good short field capability, and float fittings. Even better, your choice of TW or NW configuration.

Depending on your needs, and seating, I would seriously consider the Glastar line of aircraft. Very rugged, beatiful, and excellent flying aircraft. Made for the bush, and they have serveral models with various options.. Worth a look

Mike