Hello Everyone,

I am in the planning stages of building an RV-10.

I am looking at adding a separate garage/work shed for my project.
The problem is that there is a square foot limit to external structures in my neighborhood.

Therefore I need the actal dimensions of the aircraft, particularly the length of each wing from root to tip.

I understand the length of the aircraft is about 24.5 ft. Can anyone tell me if this is the length from the spinner to the tail? What would the fuselage length be without the engine attached?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sebastian D
Dieppe, New Brunswick, Canada

Hi, Sebastian... welcome to VAF!

Tim Olson's site has some great information, including this page that lists the dimensions of the RV-10 components:
http://myrv10.com/tips/workarea.html

I just picked up my quickbuild kit from Van's (will post on that later), but I have only a 2-car garage to work with, so I'm planning on attaching the empennage pieces to the tailcone at the airport, along with the wings, of course. Based on my measurements, I think I can just barely fit the engine to the fuselage (with the tailcone attached) in the garage.

-Rob

I don't have the actual measurements available but can possibly answer a few of your questions. If you don't get the answers I'll be glad to measure next time I'm over at my hangar.

The completed wings with tips on measure something like about 14 feet. The wingtip adds about a foot to the end of the wing and is one of those things that you can fit and then leave off until final assembly.

The length measurement from Van's is from tip of the spinner to the tip of the rudder. The firewall forward is easily 4 feet and the rudder probably adds another foot.

If a person had storage for parts as they were completed (especially the tailcone and wings) it could be built in a single car size garage. It would definitely start getting tight when time came to hang the engine but up until that point you'd be fine. There's at least one builder that I know of that is building in a single car garage.

Bob
N442PM

Thanks for the info guys. This is exactly what I needed.

Does anyone know the wheelbase measurement?
Meaning outer edge of the left wheel to outer edge of the right wheel??

I am assuming I would need an opening of at least this length to remove from the workshop the completed fuselage minus the wings (unless length from tip to tip of the horizontal stab is greater than the wheel base length).

If someone has these numbers it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sebastian D
Dieppe, New Brunswick, Canada

The wheels fit on a 8'6" wide trailer. But the nuts with extensions on them extend a little past 8'6".

Glad to hear of another Maritimer building a 10. We are located in Southern Nova Scotia. The emp is complete and wings are getting there. Fuel thank are ready for inspection from MD-RA as are the actual wings. The ailerons are almost half way (worked on them today). And one flap is disassembled ready for interior priming. Probably start initial assembly of second flap tomorrow. We also have another guy starting in Greenwood, NS . He has purchased the slow build wings (from another party) and plans to order the emp kit in the fall. Your welcome to drop by for a visit.
Ron

The distance from outer edge of main tire to outer edge of the other is just slightly less than 8 feet. As was stated above, the axle nut and wheelpant attach extension add a few inches to each side.

The horizontal stab is much wider than that - about 12 feet or so, but that's one of those things that you fit when building the tailcone and then remove/store until final assembly at the airport.

Bob