n5lp

fugio ergo sum
I enjoyed an evening with Louise Hose, Paul Dye, George West and Linda West. Louise and Paul made a scheduled stop in Carlsbad, NM on the way to work on the RV-1 in the Dallas area. When Paul tried to start up to leave the self-service pumps he could not start on the left mag.

Louise was flying the leg coming in and found it interesting that she was bombing in over the Guadalupe Mountains wilderness country on one mag.

So the RV-1 is waiting, it is after hours and a remote area. How to get the airplane ready for tomorrow? Turned out it wasn't too hard. Tools were collected, calls were made and my buddy Paul Sloan offered to take a mag off his Citabria for Paul to use to get home.

George, Paul and Louise installed the borrowed mag and I held the flashlight a lot.

It was after that we adjourned for yarn spinning and food. Looks like Paul and Louise will be on time for RV-1 work tomorrow at Jay's.

IMG_0176.jpg

George, Louise and Paul disassembling a mag​

Last edited:
Thanks, Larry for the great flashlight holding and getting me up to Artesian to secure the loaner mag. We would like to have had more time to just relax with you and the Wests but sure appreciate your friendship and support in a time of need.

The RV-1 work day was great! Super glad we made i!

I must add my many thanks to the Carlsbad wing of VAF! :)

I didn't plan to spend the evening changing a mag, but I couldn't have had a better gang to help out. And I kept wonderign what we'd have done if we had stopped at one of those remote, cheap self-serve places out in the middle of nowhere (that I usually like...).

So now we have several options:

1) Does anyone here on VAF have a low/no-time Slick 4371 they'd like to part with?
2) ACS has new 4371's for $834 - quick, new mag....
3) So if the LEFT mag went bad at 1450 hours (I suspect the coil), is the right Mag far behind? Ad a new Right mag to keep everthing timed togteehr....
4) Time to go Dual P-Mags? I've decided to go that way on the RV-3, and man, does it fire quick! $1200 each though....

So, anyone have a 4371?

Paul

That mag was only 50 hours away from it's next 500 hour inspection. See what the other one looks like... Then decide. Maybe try Lightspeed this time.

Can't a good mechanic fix the old one easily?

Oh, I am sure that if I get the parts, I can fix it - I've done plenty of work on Slicks. This is just one of those "opportunities" to evaluate options! ;)

That mag was only 50 hours away from it's next 500 hour inspection. See what the other one looks like... Then decide. Maybe try Lightspeed this time.

Well as I said, I am pretty happy with the P-Mags on the -3 so far, and I do like fleet commonality....

I'm a 380hrTT pilot, but had 2 bad mags in the first 280hrs...none since going Pmag. I only 96hrs on my Emag/Pmag combo, but I love 'em.