airtractor8

Well Known Member
Friend
Just did the 2nd annual inspection on my rv6 and to my horror found rust growing in the gascolator bowl!. Its the type with the cad plated bowl from ACS products than Vans sold in the mid 90's. Its only been in service two years. If you guys have the same type fitted I suggest you check it soon!. Has anyone else had this problem?. Does anyone know were I can buy a replacement bowl only, or maybe one made from aluminium?

Regards
Graham
RV6 130hrs
0320 H2AD

Have one made out of aluminum? The only time i've found rust in Fuel Strainer bowls is when water has been sitting in them for extended periods of time. Are you sure your drain is oriented correctly to drain all the liquid out of the bottom side when in ground attitudes?

My -6 had been sitting idle for about 3 years before I bought it. When I pulled the gascolator bowl it too had rust in the bottom. I just cleaned it up and put it back together.

The cad plated steel bowl on my '46 Cub had a few little pitted areas. But it was considerably older, maybe even original.

Instead of the aluminum bowl or replacement, you might think about getting one of those Andair gascolators. A work of art. All coated aluminum, positive locking bowl - much safer IMO. I previously had the cad plated steel version with my RV. Was more worried about the locking mechanism holding the bowl on, personally.

But if you're dead-set on continuing with the original and can't find a replacement. Let me know. I can probably dig up my old one.

2 cents

Thanks guys for the replies. Low pass, just like you I to have always been worried about the locking mechanism although Ive never herd of one failing. Decided to change the whole assembly to a Cessna type I got from a wreck Yesterday.
Cheers
Graham in Oz