pierre smith

Well Known Member
The other (696) thread has this discussion.

My 496 once showed the runway numbers on the little red airport diagram but they've disappeared. How can I get them back? The manual is of no help here.

Thanks,

No worries.

Garmin just told me how.

From the Map page
Press 'menu', Press map setup, scroll to Avn nav, then down to 'runway numbers'. First should be "small" then scroll right, press "enter" and select the distance from your destination that you want runway numbers to show.

Best,

Thanks!

and select the distance from your destination that you want runway numbers to show.
Best,

I've been trying to figure out what those numbers meant.
I didn't know if that was a "screen range" or what. Good to know that that's the distance from destination.

I had no idea....

I had no idea that the 496 could do that. I'm going to try it out tonight.

Thanks Pierre!

I've been trying to figure out what those numbers meant.
I didn't know if that was a "screen range" or what. Good to know that that's the distance from destination.

No, it's actually the minimum map zoom range (corresponds to the range number on the map scale in the lower right corner of the screen).

mcb

Thanks Matt,
That was my original "guess" but I wasn't sure. I couldn't find where the manual even mentioned it.

Another setup

I had no idea that the 496 could do that. I'm going to try it out tonight.

Thanks Pierre!

One of the handiest safety features of the 396/496 is that you can also select soft/grass fields to show up when you press the "nearest" button.

I set mine up to show ALL airports with 2500' or longer runways.
Press "nearest" and then menu and you can change the default settings to not show heliports or water runways, as well and put in your minimum 'feel good' runway lengths.

When I did this, it added 4 grass runways to the first page that weren't there before. Y'never know when the cooling fan may pack it in!

Best,