hydroguy2

Well Known Member
Need some help concerning runway lighting and heavy snow. And just to keep this RV related. Below is a pic of Cabin Creek Landing (97MT), I have a lot there and will be plan on having a place available for RV's.

runway.jpg

Anyway, After skiing last week I stopped by(driving) to check out the runway condition. The runway/taxiways are in great shape, plowed off very nicely....but several of the runway lights are broken off from the snowplow blasting them with heavy wet snow. They also don't stick above the snow level.

Anyone have a good idea how to mount the lights to either be flexible or sturdy enough to take the blast from the plow?

I am the "runway light guy" at our airpark. You are kind of in a catch 22 situation. If you make them sturdy enough then they will cause some serious damage whenever an off course aircraft encounters one. Ours are home made with a flexible base that will break away, of course snow is not a problem here.:)

I know there is a company that makes LED runway lights with a "hinged" base that allows the lamp to fall over and then be put back up, but they were pricey, something like $280 each.

"Frangible" is the term...

the FAA uses. As Wade said, it is a catch 22, if you made them strong enough to withstand the snow blower you would hate life if you had a little "excursion" and managed to hit one. There are several lights available with a frangible base that is an effective "fuse," a predictable and inexpensive failure point.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA