AirWolf

I am working on my 9A, and I am getting very close to being ready to move to a hangar for Final Assembly.
I know that in an ideal world without budget constraints etc, you would want as long (and wide) of a runway as possible for flight test. As this is not an ideal world, I have to look at cost of hangar space when considering where to do my flight testing.
Here's what I have available to me:

Airport 1:
Runway - 5000' X 100'
Hangar Cost - $350/mo for sharing a hangar
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KUAO

Airport 2:
Runway - 2950' X 45'
Hangar Cost - $150/mo for sharing a hangar
http://www.airnav.com/airport/7S9

Both airports are pretty close to me (within 20 min), so it really comes down to: Is the longer and wider runway worth the additional cost to rent the hangar?
What have other people's experience been in this area? What length/width did you have, and how was it? Would you choose a longer runway if you built again?

Thanks,
Ron
RV-9A - Baffling

Page 94 of the March 2005 issue of SPORT Aviation has an excellent article (Maiden Flight) on the very subject and is worth reading. For first flights, I'm a firm believer that MORE is better! :) Rosie

I would go for the 5000 footer. That gives you a little extra room should problems pop up. The few hundred bucks you save going to the smaller airport will not be worth it if you have to abort a takeoff or have jitters landing your new plane at a smaller field and just wish you had more room. Most likely it won't make any difference, but you never know. Murphy's Law.

Roberta

350$ / month for a shared hangar? I hope it has heat / water / etc! That seems pretty steep to me...

I agree with the previous statements about a longer runway; however, 3000' x 45' is not a particularly short or narrow runway, especially for an RV.

Thomas

choices

Is it possible to have it both ways? Maybe share space at the 5000' airport for flight testing and then move once you get comfortable with the airplane and performance. In my area you have to be on a waiting list for 8-12 months, and hanger space if very limited, so that wouldn't work around here, but maybe it would where you are from. I agree for the first 25 hours (where history shows lots of stuff can happen) go with 5000". I had a 6000' runway, used 500, but was glad that I had 5500' left over just in case. I am still glad with only 5.6 hrs flown off. Jack N489JE

I've no experience with test flying, but I would also be concerned with what the surrounding terrain looks like, especially just upwind of the field. The 5000' sounds great, but not if it means no chance of surviving an off-field landing.

I'm familiar with both airports. Personally, I'd rather base at Lenhardt, but would prefer to make the first flight from Aurora. In fact, assuming the first flight goes well I woundn't see any reason not to use Lenhardt for the landing if you were going to base there. Hangar rent at UAO sounds a little steep. I pay $160 at Eugene and have a hangar big enough for our Cessna 120 and our RV-6. It's a tight fit, but it works. If the RV-6 was a 6A, not a chance.
In the early 1970s, I made a first flight from a short grass strip. I didn't have any part in building the plane. The weight and balance had not been properly figured. The first take off was unintentional but the field was too short to get it back on the ground and save the plane. I made sure I had control then climbed to a few hundred feet and entered a downwind and landed. The point is, it would have been nice to have an option other than flying an airplane that obviously had problems.
With good preparation, your first flight about recording temperatures and pressures and familiarizing yourself with your new airplane. Congratulations on nearing completion of your project. I look forward to seeing you in the neighborhood.

Bobby S

I made my first flight in my RV-4 from a 3000 foot runway and had no problems. Of course, "no problems" is the key phrase here. If it were me I'd use the airport I was most familiar with. I know you said you're familiar with both but which one do you *really* know? Use that one. You can always take off from the shorter strip and then do your first landing at the longer strip. Though if all goes well you'll probably feel comfortable enough to bring it back to the short strip.

Prepare to sport a grin that can't be knocked off with a baseball bat. :D

Has anyone done first flight/testing at a Class C field? I'm 5 min from a class C field (which is about the only place to get a hanger around here) and about 30 min from 4 other fields. Its not a particularly busy class C, in fact I've flown into Class D and TRSA areas that are busier. But they have 2 nice BIG runways and a little runway. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSBN If your interested.

Jeff

Class C

Jeff, I would go talk to the fellows in the tower. If the plane is legal to fly then ATC pretty much has to let you fly. Talking to the tower guys will extablish a personal relationship and they will have an interest in helping the flight happen. Probably they will have a BIG interest. Most everyone around an airport loves flying. Being a part of a "first flight" is one of those things that gives interest to what is usually a routine job.

First flights out of busy airfields

It depends on the Phase 1 restrictions you get from your local inspector. For instance, in my area new RV's have been allowed to take their first flight out of the busy airport but then had to remain in a less crowded area (a less busy airport and less populated flight testing area) until the Phase 1 testing is completed. That makes getting your initial 25 or 40 hours flown off kind of tough. After that they are allowed to go wherever they want because they are then into Phase 2. Depending, of course, on any Phase 2 limitations.