Do you have an Agriculture and Mechanical University in your state?
They are usually the best source for that type of information for your area.

I live in west central ILL. I was just wondering if anybody had some advice on what you have planted.

seed

Call your local private golf course superintendent. He will welcome your call and steer you in the right direction for your specific needs in your area.
With grass seed, you get what you pay for. Go cheap and you will get poor turf. Also ask him about endophyte treated seed, these are designed to handle insects and disease without chemcals thus enhancing your turf. discuss with him what type of mowing equipment (reel vs rotary)you have or will be using and differt heights of cut, this also has an influence on your seed choice. You also want to get his suggestions on fertilizer requirments for seed establishment and the best time of year to seed in your area, this has a big impact on turf density and fill in.
He may also order your seed for you, thus ensuring a good blend. He probably can get a special blend of seeds he feels would be best for you.

Give him a call, he will be professional, helpful and may end up liking a ride in your rv for the service.

Kentucky-31 works in Missouri.

There are some disadvantages to K-31. It is a clump grass and will need to over seeded every couple of years as it does not spread on it's own. On the other hand it is cheap and if the gophers eat the grass or roots it contains an endofite (sp) that is a vasoconstrictor can abort their babies. Don't ask me how I know this. :eek:

I would take Mel's advice and ask the local University AG extention office. They will have good info based on your soil types.

Last edited:
You could always go with Carl Spackler's recommendation,
"This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia".:D

"The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff."

Make sure it is a non-bird attracking grass. They pulled up some old runways in Savannah and put some new sod down. It was the wrong type because there were birds everywhere. They had to pull it all up and put a different type down.

Up in Alberta I found success with a grass called 'streambank'. Non clumping, doesn't grow very tall, it seams to spread and cover the ground well, groes well with little moisture. Downside is it is harder to mow, and the color of it is not that sharp. I have been using my runway for eight years now, and the grass is standing up very well.

How about using artificial turf like they use on football fields. You would never have to mow it and the gofers won't drill holes in it.

Caddyshack Quotes LOL

Now I have to clean my laptop! Serves me right I guess for eating breakfast while reading VAF.