mhcflyer

Well Known Member
Boy, Ever since GOOGLE MAPS came online there are so many uses of the data. I just found http://www.runwayfinder.com . Enter any public airport and it shows you the area in four different formats, MAP, SATELLITE, HYBRID, CHART. It even pulls in the latest METARS. This is a really neat application!!!

--Michael

Not only is it cool, but the site was created by an RV-7A builder! I was going to post an announcement about the site this morning, but I guess the cat's out of the bag. :D

I'm glad folks are finding it interesting/useful. It's still a work in progress. I'll be adding features in the coming months... or maybe I should spend the time on that pile of aluminum parts in the garage.

Dave

Extremely cool!

You zoom with the slider bar on the left.

Credit where credit is due, Dave... who is the mystery author/-7 builder?

:cool: CJ

Captain_John said:
Extremely cool!

Shh.. It's Dave! (dualrudder)

Captain_John said:
Extremely cool!

Hm... I don't see a slider bar. Dave... could I have something set that would hide that?

Thanks for the great site. Look forward to future enhancements!

--Michael

Davepar said:
Not only is it cool, but the site was created by an RV-7A builder! I was going to post an announcement about the site this morning, but I guess the cat's out of the bag. :D
Dave

Brian130 said:
Hm... I don't see a slider bar. Dave... could I have something set that would hide that?

It should be showing up. I've noticed occasionally that the zoom slider or map/satellite/hybrid/chart buttons disappear, but they usually reappear after a refresh. Send me your browser version (e.g. Internet Explorer 6) and I'll look into it.

Dave

The other nice thing about google maps is that you can click and drag (just click on the map, hold the button down, and move the mouse around) and actually move the map around to look at surrounding areas without having to use those annoying buttons on the side that "shift" the map a little each way.

Thomas
-8 wings

Yup, Google did a nice job with the interface to their maps. They read in the images around your current location so that panning around is really quick and smooth. They also have fairly open licensing policies. As long as your web site is available freely to the public, you can use their API to put maps on your web site. Very cool.

Could one of ya'll that have used the Runway Finder take a screen shot and post it (or email it to me) so I can see what the zoom scroll bar is supposed to look like? Please... :D

Dave,

Thanks a ton. Nice tool, but no military fields. :(

Also, a very program that is similar is Google Earth. Allows you to go to almost any place on earth and see sat images. I have seen all my homes in the US, Japan and Bahrain!

www.earth.google.com.

Take care,

Jim

runway.jpg

Thanks, Andy and others! I figured it out. My security was set too high. Explorer Med-Low default settings works.

Brian130 said:
Thanks, Andy and others! I figured it out. My security was set too high. Explorer Med-Low default settings works.

Excellent. There was another person that couldn't see the zoom bar, so I'll let him know.

Thanks a ton. Nice tool, but no military fields.

Uncheck the "public only" checkbox. Most of us can't land at military fields, so I hide them by default. On second thought, it would be nice to still see the weather from those locations. Hmmm.

Distance Calculator

Dave,
This is a really great tool. I am finding myself using it a great deal already. However, I have one thought concerning added functionality. I often am trying to calculate the distance from point A to point B. I have used the http://www.sulphurspringsairport.com/ tool that will show the distance to their airport from others. Once you enter a beginning airport identifier and press the GO button the calculator will spit out how many miles it is to the Sulphur Springs airport. Is it possible to add a calculator where you could enter a starting point and an ending point and then have the distance between the two points displayed? I am always trying to determine the distance between two locations in this manner so I can determine how long/far I can fly before I have to come down for fuel.

If you don't think this functionality is possible on your site do you or others know of a website that will allow me to enter a start airport location and a destination location and have the mileage displayed?

Steve
RVBYSDI

RVbySDI said:
Dave,
This is a really great tool. I am finding myself using it a great deal already. However, I have one thought concerning added functionality. I often am trying to calculate the distance from point A to point B. I have used the http://www.sulphurspringsairport.com/ tool that will show the distance to their airport from others. Once you enter a beginning airport identifier and press the GO button the calculator will spit out how many miles it is to the Sulphur Springs airport. Is it possible to add a calculator where you could enter a starting point and an ending point and then have the distance between the two points displayed? I am always trying to determine the distance between two locations in this manner so I can determine how long/far I can fly before I have to come down for fuel.

If you don't think this functionality is possible on your site do you or others know of a website that will allow me to enter a start airport location and a destination location and have the mileage displayed?

Steve
RVBYSDI

www.airnav.com will allow you to go to an airport info page (e.g. www.airnav.com/airport/KAOH) and then on the right side, you can type in another airport identifier and it'll give you the distance between in NM.

Hope that helps.

OHIOPILOT wrote:

www.airnav.com will allow you to go to an airport info page (e.g. www.airnav.com/airport/KAOH) and then on the right side, you can type in another airport identifier and it'll give you the distance between in NM.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Ohiopilot. That is what I was looking for. In fact, once you posted your message I went back to the Sulphur Springs airport website and noticed that they were using the AirNav calculator on their site to provide that functionality. I can use this website to do what I need. However I think it would still be a great addition to the Runway Finder site.

Steve
RVBYSDI

RVbySDI said:
I often am trying to calculate the distance from point A to point B...

Yes, that's an excellent idea. I was thinking of adding the ability to type in 2 or more locations and have the map/chart zoom to show the locations along with all airports close to the course. Adding the great circle distance to that should be easy.

I'm not sure when I'll add that. Several people have sent me great suggestions. I've implemented a few of the easier ones. I'll just keep chipping away at the list as I have time. At the moment, I'm working on something that should be very cool.

Davepar said:
Yes, that's an excellent idea. I was thinking of adding the ability to type in 2 or more locations and have the map/chart zoom to show the locations along with all airports close to the course. Adding the great circle distance to that should be easy.

I'm not sure when I'll add that. Several people have sent me great suggestions. I've implemented a few of the easier ones. I'll just keep chipping away at the list as I have time. At the moment, I'm working on something that should be very cool.

I will be looking forward to any new functionality you implement. I think this map is a great tool.

Steve
RVBYSDI :cool:

Very cool

Great stuff. Quick question, just to confirm what I am guessing...if I uncheck "Airports only" I get heliports as well, is this correct? Would I also get any other facilities, like seaplane bases or who knows what else? Thanks!

rv8ch said:
Great stuff. Quick question, just to confirm what I am guessing...if I uncheck "Airports only" I get heliports as well, is this correct? Would I also get any other facilities, like seaplane bases or who knows what else? Thanks!

Yup. Unchecking "airports only" will add heliports, seaplane bases, and I think there are some blimp ports or something weird like that.

I thought you were over in Switzerland, Mickey. You doing some viritual U.S. flying?

Virtual flying

davepar said:
I thought you were over in Switzerland, Mickey. You doing some viritual U.S. flying?
Exactly. I have to plan those flights for when I come visit the family back in Texas. :)