Av8torTom

Well Known Member
I've installed all the nylon brake lines in my 9A. About to run the aluminum brake lines inside my fuselage. Looking for any words of advice, tricks, tips etc..

Thanks,

Tom

Pretty much just bend them in place. Keep the radius of the bends large and you won't need to get a tubing bender involved. The spring type tubing benders will work best on these long tubing runs.

Thanks Bruce - I was thinking that a spring bender would be best. Did you flare the ends in place?

I flared one side, worked out all of the bends then measured in place, mark, remove to cut and flare. You can work the bends a bit if your cut is off by a little bit. I found the spring to be very good for the bends.

Larry

Thanks - I'm thinking I'll measure (maybe make the run with a wire first) then flare one end and thread the tubing thru the bushings starting at the gear leg end, and then while I'm in the floor pass through I'll flare the other end and make my connections.

The plans don't show this very well - is there a rubber grommet to secure the brake line as it passes thru the 9A gear weldment?

I put grommets on the weldment holes for the brake and fuel lines.

It is probably easier to get the line completely bent, then go back and get the ends flared.

Its no too bad. (I may be letting the cat out of the bag here, but working on a 5052O aluminum CNC bent solution for this.) it does take some time to do.
Tom

Steal...Ahem...."Acquire" some of your wife's wire-style coathangers and do a mockup before you get stuck into the tubing.

I ran mine down underneath the bottom longerons rather than down the middle of the cockpit and it worked out well.

Just experience talking I had an RV 4 that was the company utility. Had nylon down to the callipers. All good until someone had a heavy moment on the brakes. Nylon would leak at the callipers due to the heat generated evidenced after every thing cooled down.
I got my mechanics to fit 6" of braided line from the callipers up the leg and attached nylon to that. Never had a problem again.

I was so proud of my self, bend, place , bend place, at the end, COOL, let me just get this flair tool in here....almost.......TA DA! *(^(*&(&$, OK where's that B nut sleeve.......and tubing cutter.......twice.....take your time.