rjcthree

Well Known Member
Hi everyone.

Because I'm stubbor(and I think I can), I am building my own engine, a O-320H2AD - bone stock(as if certified), full rebuild/OH with new cam and cylinders. I would like the first run of the completed motor to be in a test stand, not in the airplane, with at least some moderate data aquisition.

Did anybody face a similar dilemma, and did you find a shop to do a run in on a test stand?

Thanks, Rick 90432

Hope to see what good info you get...I just built a new ECI 0-360 kit and have to do the "Run In" on the airplane. I would really prefer to do the first hour on the ground, but I don't know if I can do that yet. I can't imagine doing the Run-In on the very first flight of the aircraft...seems like there would be too much going on.

I am sure you will be able to find someone, but location and price will vary. Around my area I have found the most reasonable so far is $1,000.

Talked with ECi test guru a while back and they used to run-in on the airplane with a cooling shroud, 1 sq ft of intake area for each cyl. A picture is in their break-in manual. So that is most likely what I am going to build/do. I much rather test the engine for a few hours by itself, then test the airplane.

Can't agree more with the sentiment, testing both at the same time is alot to worry about.

LYCON

I am looking as well. I called LYCON, in California a few weeks ago for info (a long way to go for me). My notes from the conversation as follows:
They have a test cell & dynamometer for Aircraft Engines.
Cost is $886/2hr (includes set up and take down), thereafter cost is just fuel & labor.
Test Cell uses prop for load
Measures egt cht fuel & oil pres samples 10/sec
Bshp corrected to std day
Fixed pitch prop
Props typically 82% efficient
2 days to set up, test 2 hrs, tear down
Measure front & back oil pressure (oil pump, front of engine)
Have run engines to 25 hrs before
spoke with Ken