ditch

Well Known Member
I am currently building a 7 but there are some questions I have about the rv build. I haven't done anything other than what the kit tells me to do but I keep hearing how you can pretty much do what you want since its experimental. How true is this? I know that you can't alter the structure to make it unsafe to fly but does an rv have to follow all the rules that apply to certified airplanes? Example, interiors, I learned that you can only have a certain type of fabric on the seats for fire protection. Can you just put anything on the seats of an experimental? Anybody have good explanation as to what you can do and where to find info on it? I hear of people making modifications to the planes but I'd be scared to try something because I'd think it would be red flagged by the FAA. I don't want to change anything on the airframe itself, just would like to get a little creative on dressing up the interior when I get to that point. Maybe try to make a center counsel with the throttle on it, instead of reaching for it. Thats just one thought. Any thought?

"The Rules"

The short answer is that you can do almost anything you want to because it is experimental. One of the joys of the FARs is that you are free to do almost anything you want as long as you warn the passenger(s) and don't charge for the ride. The restrictions are 1) Common sense (would you really feel good with high fire hazard material in you airplane?) 2) The FAA, through a DAR or inspector will apply a few rules and their own version of common sense before you get an airworthiness certificate

Rather than go into a long dissertation, here is a good source from the EAA
http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/ You can access this if you are an EAA member (and I feel anyone in this hobby should be.)

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Almost anything.....

Hi Greg,
As John pointed out, use common sense and don't put highly flammable interiors in. You can also sew your own or farm it out. You are also allowed to do structural mods but you might have to prove them to the DAR. e.g. John Harmon cuts off the RV-4 wings to 15" shorter, adds a different fuselage and a big 260 horse engine with his new motor mount ...voila!.....Harmon Rocket.

Many guys have designed their own airplanes and flown them. However they were qualified to do so....aero engineers or mechanical engineers with friendly help.......it's wide open. Some have also busted their fannies because they didn't know what they were doing.

Unless you really research structural mods/effects, stick to the plans. Customization is wide open as far as your panel gauges, interior design and paint scheme.

Regards,