WISC

Well Known Member
I am looking at similar aircraft with the same type of engine. One engine has 1400 hours SMOH and the other 400 SMOH.

-Is there a rule of thumb in value for an engine based on time since over haul? For example in this case how much more valuable is the engine that has a 1000 less hours? I realize there are variables but assume exact same engine and the only difference is the hours.

-Related question is the value of an aircraft with a constant speed prop vice fixed pitch around 4-5k more, assuming everything else is equal?

Thanks

Vref uses cost of overhaul or factory reman divided by TBO.

Let's say a new Lycoming IO-360 was $37,000 with a 2000 TBO, that's $18.50 per hour.

In your example, the 400 hr engine would be worth $18,500 more than the 1400 engine.

Use new, factory reman, or field overhaul as your base value depending on circumstances.

Don

I would divide the cost of overhaul (assuming he same type of overhaul was done on both) divided by the TBO. So, if overhaul would be $20,000, then $10/hour for a 2,000 hr TBO.

As for the prop, I would put it at the cost of overhaul of the prop and governor divided by the hours for value as well.

TBO is a very rough estimate used more for negotiating power than any practical measurement.

I'd take a well cared for, often used high time over a low time hangar queen any day.