crabandy

Well Known Member
Is it best to fit the fiberglass tips for the rudder/vs on the plane? I fit/drilled my empenage several years ago and adjusted the rudder etc several years ago and removed them due to workspace. Should I double check the alignment of the rudder/vs and clearance of the lower tip and the tailwheel spring by mounting it per the plans or could I get close enough without mounting everything?
Thanks,
Andy

Well, I can tell you what happened to me, regarding the rudder bottom...

I would not fasten it permanently to the rudder until you have it attached to the plane. I worked on mine quite a bit while I was waiting for my wing kit, because I didn't have anything else to do for a while, and thinking I would be ahead of the game later on. I felt pretty smug at the time about having it nearly finished. I almost pop-riveted it on and glassed it over, but I'm really glad I waited! Here's why.

Fast-forward several years to the moment I mounted the empennage to the fuselage for the first time. As you can see in this picture, the rudder bottom sticks down below the bottom of the fuselage roughly an inch or so. I was shocked! This is completely unacceptable. I didn't know it at the time, but some of the fiberglass parts from Vans aren't made all that accurately. They're oversized and will require some trimming and fitting. I'm going to have to trim this bottom piece and do all the fitting and drilling over and get it to fit right this time.

P1000049%20(Small).JPG

This is even more problematic for the RV-7 or 9 tailwheel RV's, because the tailwheel rod has to go underneath the rudder and have enough clearance to allow the rudder to swing through its' range of motion. So all that work I did way back then was for nothing.

Fortunately, all I lost was the time I spent. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to trim this piece, re-drill the holes and get it to fit and work properly.

Is it best to fit the fiberglass tips for the rudder/vs on the plane? I fit/drilled my empenage several years ago and adjusted the rudder etc several years ago and removed them due to workspace. Should I double check the alignment of the rudder/vs and clearance of the lower tip and the tailwheel spring by mounting it per the plans or could I get close enough without mounting everything?
Thanks,
Andy
I believe conventional wisdom dictates locating and mounting the rudder bottom fairing after the tailwheel is installed. That is probably a good idea. At the time, I did not realize the concept and as with all fiberglass work, I installed the fairing during the empennage phase of construction. I was lucky doing it that way, may others builders have not been so lucky. Sure, you can roll the dice but unless to don't mind some potential rework down the road, it is best to play the odds on this one and wait.

x43cew.jpg