Mike Buettgenbach

I have about 160 hours on my -12, and up until recent, the rudder trim (two end to end Avery wedges) was just right. Now, I'm about a 1/2 ball off (it's either me or the airplane) i.e. it needs just a bit more right rudder to be in-trim. There's been no mods to the airplane in this period of time. So . . .

1. Has anybody else seen this "change" in yaw characteristic?
  2. In general, how much trim have you guys used to trim the airplane, i.e. is it typical that two wedges are sufficient?

Thx!

I also had to add two of Avery's trim wedges to the rudder for the ball being out to the right. Only have 27 hours on bird so far and have not noticed any change .

One Avery wedge on left side of rudder was perfect for me. No change at 80 hours.

Did you have to do any flaperon squeezing? Your problem could be there, not in the rudder trim. A tiny squeeze, possibly inadvertent, can cause a noticable change in roll trim.

One Avery wedge on left side of rudder was perfect for me. No change at 80 hours.

Did you have to do any flaperon squeezing? Your problem could be there, not in the rudder trim. A tiny squeeze, possibly inadvertent, can cause a noticable change in roll trim.

Haven't done any adjustment to flaperons since the early days. Roll characteristics are okay, and haven't noticeably changed. . . . just yaw. It (the ball) is centered on the ground.
I'm thinking in might be an instrument issue. I think I'll try a different yaw indicator (the 'ole piece of yarn trick) and see what the yaw axis look like.

Thx for the input