Strasnuts

Well Known Member
I just installed a rudder trim today that Aerosport Products made. I am testing the design and was very pleased with the results. I didn't want the electric rudder trim since it was a lot of labor and put weight in the rudder. I was holding out for a bias system that used the entire rudder. I know builders who installed the electric version and like them but this new product was just what I was looking for. It literally took me 30 minutes to install and worked perfect. I didn't know where to set it for the first test run so I took off normally. At cruise I dialed it in and immediately was grateful to pull my foot off the right rudder where I had been resting it for the 180 hours I have on the plane. This system uses a dial which is geared to two cables attached to springs and finally hooked on to two clamped arms on the rudder crossover tubes. I can dial in the cruise descent and cruise climb in a few seconds. It is very compact as you can see in the photo. I'm already happy with it and I only flew with it today. Can't wait for a long cross-country. I took a quick pic with my iphone and will get some better pics later. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

20ua8ag.jpg

Last edited:
For the RV-10s with Geoff's standard panel, I'm working with Geoff to install this in the bottom right of the comm stack panel. I hope to have some photos by the end of the month. I'm just waiting for Geoff's new batch to be manufactured.

Follow up

Just a follow up on the rudder trim.

I am loving this device from Aerosport. I have flown a bunch of cross countries and it is working flawless. I finally broke the habit of placing my right foot on the pedal. One of the best side effects of this trim is the rudder is not blowing in the slightest breeze like before. The springs have tension on the rudder so the wind can't move it as easily. I used to race for my rudder lock in the baggage compartment but now I don't even put it in if the winds are 10kts or less. It also works great for cruise climbs and descents using a fraction of time to re-adjust.

My mileage varies as they say

Maybe there is something different about RV-10s but I installed a dial the springs to levers on the rudder bars on our RV-6A and it didn't work initially so I was supplied with heavier springs, and heavier springs and it was never satisfactory in at least two ways. The rudder trim was not reliable and there was an unnatural load on the rudder controls that made it feel like driving a 2.5 ton 6X6 truck. As soon as I removed the system the good natural yaw control returned. I developed my own ground adjustable (aerodynamic not mechanical) rudder tab that I adjusted for level cruise flight and I apply right rudder on takeoff and climb out. That was a far better solution for me.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I can't comment on the difficulties that Bob had in his RV directly. I can share my observations watching Geoff develop this product over the last year and a half. I can tell you the bracket that mounts to the rudder pedal bar and the spring tension both have a direct impact to the issues that Bob shared. I've watched Geoff try dozens of bracket heights, as well as spring tension to get things just right. I don't believe there is a one size fits all combination here. Each RV model may require slightly different bracket heights and spring tension levels.

There will be several RV-10s at OSH that will have Geoff's test units installed. I have one my RV-10, but it isn't quite ready to fly at the moment.

Geoff, like everyone else is busy getting ready for OSH. Which is why I suspect he hasn't posted already. The folks at the AFS booth or his office will be able to give you his cell number to reach him at OSH.

If you aren't going to be at OSH, then give Geoff a call the week after the show.

Although, I've heard it from a good source that there may be a web site update soon. :D

OSH Viewing of goodies

I look forward to checking out this and many other mods at OSH this year. It's such a great place to "kick the tires" and see what others have done. I definitely want an internal rudder trim on my 10, so I hope the development progresses well. See you all at OSH on Sunday!

I like mine

I got one of the Aerosport rudder trim setups based on Sean's recommendation. Mine was a little more difficult to install because I have stuff hanging under my panel where the connecting cables run, but I got it done and it works as advertised. Ditto everything Sean said. Look for me at OSH.