RV8R999

Well Known Member
I recently flew an RV6 for a little over 5 hours (3 sorties). From initial application of power in the T/O roll through the entire speed envelope the plane required right rudder.

My question is if this is typical RV6 and does the -8 exhibit similar directional trim characteristics? The -8 VS and Rudder area are significantly larger than the -6.

Thanks,

Ken

Ken
I have had both an RV6 and RV8 and they both required about the same right rudder trim. How much probably depends on HP and type of prop.
In both cases, I used a spring on the right rudder pedal to apply pressure. It worked fine and I couldn't notice any difference in using the pedals.
On the RV6 I attached it between the pedal and a firewall gusset.
On the RV8 I attached at the rudder cable idler arm and then to the back of the front baggage wall. (Just used a drilled AN3 bolt sticking through a hole in the baggage wall to attach the spring.)
I used trial and error on spring tension to set rudder trim for cruise, but you could make it adjustable with a lever or vernier cable control.
I never needed a tab on the rudder, which was my goal.

Thanks Steve -

Right now I have springs connected to both sides as you describe but to the firewall. I did this to take out the slack in the cables but I'll remove the left spring and see what this does for me.

Thx,

Ken

On my -8, I find that I have never needed a noticeably consistent amount of rudder trim Ken. The -6 has active rudder trim, and it is usually offset from center, and we do change it in flight. If you find that your -8 needs trim, you can easily install a wedge during Phase 1 (as an alternative to the spring bias Steve mentioned).

Paul

My 6A has the shorter "classic" tail. There is no offset built in, and I knew it would eventually require some kind of rudder trim for cruise flight. It actually took a good push of the right leg to center the ball.

I started out with a wood wedge duct taped to the rudder. This worked well, and required no more leg presses in cruise. But to me, airplanes do use trim tabs, and I have no problem in my mind, when it comes to installing one. I prefer real tabs over bungie cords or springs that hold "artificial" pressure on the cables. Just as my aileron has an authentic (but electrically adjustable) tab, so does the rudder...........but it's fixed in place.

This airplane still requires some good right rudder on takeoff & climb, though.

L.Adamson --- RV6A