Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Hi Guys

During cruise flight my right foot goes to sleep after an hour or so. What method of rudder trim do you use? trim tab, spring load, right foot?

Most people use a simple trim tab, but a spring load would certainly work. My old T-Craft had an adjustable spring load on the rudder pedals. You pull the control to increase right rudder trim.

More info on springs please

Mel said:
My old T-Craft had an adjustable spring load on the rudder pedals. You pull the control to increase right rudder trim.
Mel, could you give a little more detail on this system. I've been thinking about a spring loaded system for our -10 instead of the tab & hinge arangements, but need somewhere to start.

There was a bracket mounted forward of the rudder pedals and a cable running laterally across the fuselage. A spring from the bracket to each of the left and right rudder pedals. When the control (a standard bowden type cable) was pulled, it would increase the tension on the right pedal and relieve tension on the left one. The cable does need to have some type of friction lock to avoid creep.

EPMLAV corp.
Escalante,UT

435/826-4601

makes the plastic wedge that is a little nicer than most peoples wood wedges.

$10 IIRC and get a plastic gas cap opener from them also.

BTW- I'm still half a ball out with the above wedge.

Dayton:
When I first started flying my 9A, the ball was out a fair amount and I started playing with balsa wedges taped to the rudder. Thankfully after one of my flights I noticed that the ball was still out while sitting in the hangar (not easy to spot in an "A" model). Leveled the A/C, sat in the center and clocked the instrument - that took care of about 50% of the problem. Once I got close with the balsa, I mounted a slightly oversize aluminum tab and began flying with a balanced fuel load and a passenger my size. Took three flights/trim sessions to get it perfect.

Rudder Trim Devise

Hi All
This what I have been thinking about. A trim screw spring thing that puts pressure on the right rudder cable
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
The cable will go thru the center of the jack screw compressing the spring against the spring plug that is clamped to the rudder cable.
What do you guys think? :)

friction lock

Mel said:
There was a bracket mounted forward of the rudder pedals and a cable running laterally across the fuselage. A spring from the bracket to each of the left and right rudder pedals. When the control (a standard bowden type cable) was pulled, it would increase the tension on the right pedal and relieve tension on the left one. The cable does need to have some type of friction lock to avoid creep.

NAPA part #731-1103 easy to cut and it will lock with quarter turn. But get a better knob at RadioShack. Spring trim will also reduce flip flop of the rudder in a breeze.

Those of you using a rudder trim tab, how are you securing it to the aircraft?

Our 6 had one on it and it appears the adhesive gave way and the trim tab departed the aircraft.. :(

Manual says rivets...

Those of you using a rudder trim tab, how are you securing it to the aircraft?

Our 6 had one on it and it appears the adhesive gave way and the trim tab departed the aircraft.. :(

My old -6 manual shows 3 CS4-4 rivets holding on the wedge to the rudder (SK-115)

I guess you didn't follow the manual.....:D

gil A

Last edited:
I guess you didn't follow the manual.....:D

I sure didn't.. I bought the plane from the guy who didn't follow the manual.. ;)

Any idea where a fella might find an appropriate trim tab for the -6?

Last edited: