jswareiv

Well Known Member
Has anyone thought of adding rudder trim to their -14? If so, do you have any pictures/details? I saw a -10 with an access plate cut into the rudder for the trim motor. Thanks.

Has anyone thought of adding rudder trim to their -14? If so, do you have any pictures/details? I saw a -10 with an access plate cut into the rudder for the trim motor. Thanks.

That's one way of doing trim, but is a lot of work. Mike S and Geoff Combs both did this to their RV-10s.

The other variation is just to put a hinge on the rudder and control it via servo. Many folks have done this, see Tim Olson's and Vic Syracuse sites.

The option I went with is to use the Aerosport Product Rudder Trim. Takes less than thirty minutes and is easy to install.

There are others that will recommend just adhering a trim tab to the rudder.

I built the servo trim you are referring to in our RV-10 by cutting the TE. With Tim Olson comment that he was thinking of leaving this feature on the RV-14 because of the aerobatic capabilities I did not install one in my RV-14 rudder. I plan on using one of Geoff's spring kits mentioned above.

Last edited:
I also have a spring biased "trim" on the rudder of my -6. It is simple works well does not effect primary flight control structure. Highly recommended

I did add the cutout access panel in the side of the rudder, and plan to add the same trim as my RV-10. I changed my mind after my last X/C flight. I just like having the trim too much and like the way it works. I haven't riveted on the hinge section yet, but will before I paint.
Tim

I put elec rudder trim on my Super 8 mainly due to the 2 cruise speeds I fly. 4 banger speeds with my buds, and Super 8 speeds alone. When I had my metal prop, I used this quite a bit. And only in the 2 cruise configurations. Since I have gone to the Hartzell composite, I dont use it at all, even though Im flying the 2 cruise speeds still.

My advice, Unless you intend to cruise at 2 different speeds that span >25kts, elec trim is of no use and a single fixed trim tab is all that is necessary. Elec trim is of even less use if you use a light weight prop.