RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I'm thinking I'm going to put a trim tab on my rudder. As an old instructor at the widget used to say, "Flying along in flight", I have to hold right rudder to keep the ball centered.
I've read VANS info on wing heavy, etc. and think I will put a tab on the rudder. I know the approx. size is 6"x 1" and thickness as required at the back.
My question is, where vertically on the rudder would it be best to place it. Does it matter if it's aligned with rudder hinges or centered between them or just centered on the vertical measurement of the rudder?
Any thoughts would be welcomed.

I mounted mine centered on a horizontal stringer. I drilled out several rivets from the trailing edge of the rudder and reset with the tab in place. The forward edge of the tab is blind riveted to the rudder skin. The location near the stringer minimizes oil canning. Make sure you try and determine tab size and angle before mounting. A balsa wedge works well for this purpose. Test fly with full fuel and two on board with near equal weight. Your ball should be centered at cruise speed. In spite of my wedge testing beforehand, I still needed to trim the tab after mounting to get perfect alignment. It will take more than one flight.
Good Luck,
Terry
RV9A
N323TP