Dbro172

Well Known Member
I didn't think I had a rudder trim problem but looking at this photo I took recently may indicate that I do, and would explain why my right fuel tank guage rarely comes off the full stop during high cruise.

So question is what (and how) is an appropriate starting point for a fixed rudder trim tab?

2wnppqp.jpg

Last edited:
Wood

Derek, I set my table saw at a 10? angle and cut a 1 1/2 inch wide piece of wood ten inches long. I duct-taped it to my rudder and went flying. It was way too much so I cut it down to about 8 inches...it's now 7 " and the ball's in the middle. I attached it permanently with two dabs of RTV.

That was 6 years ago and it's still in place.

Best,

Simplicity

What are the pros / cons of the Aerosport rudder trim solution?

Is the Aerosport adjustment more / less sensitive than an electric trim solution?

Is the Aerosport approach an after-build solution (should an electric trim not be installed)?

You can also buy a rudder trim wedge from Avery .... it's about 6" long and you "try and adjust' from there as Pierre indicated. Mine ended up just under 4" long.

You could also reset the incidence of the VS/offset. More work but you wont have a wedge glued or riveted to your rudder.

What are the pros / cons of the Aerosport rudder trim solution?

Here's my take on the system

Pro's:
Lightweight
Simple design
Easy installation (and removal if needed)
No wedge needed (cleaner look)
No need to run new wiring to tail
No need to remove/modify rudder to install (no downtime)
Less expensive than electric trim

Con's:
Contorting to funny and uncomfortable shapes while working under the panel while installing

Is the Aerosport adjustment more / less sensitive than an electric trim solution?

It can be fine tuned for all flying conditions. I believe it to be easier to dial in than the electric trim. You can sneak up on it rather than over shooting with a trim switch then...blip..trim switch the other way cuz you went to far...blip...back the other way...etc.

Is the Aerosport approach an after-build solution (should an electric trim not be installed)?

Part 1 - Yes. Part 2 - That is your call. Builder discretion.

Last edited:
Another big plus for the Aerosport Rudder trim is that it keeps your rudder
from swinging side to side when parked outside. You only need a gust lock
in much higher wind conditions. This is a real plus. It will never slam against the rudder stops and snapped them off.
Not a wedge or electric trim will do this.

Geoff