atalla

Well Known Member
Hello all,

The fibreglass tip is somewhat sealed at the aft point thus not allowing the trailing edge wedge to fit inside the tip.

I would cut the last 1/2 inch of the tip flush with the edge of the skin but id rather keep the step cast in the fibreglass all the way to the end at least an 1/8 to 1/4" deep under the skins

Can I trim the trailing edge wedge to accommodate this? Again approx 1/4 from the edge of the skin.

The wedge isn't riveted in yet so now is the time and I'm just looking ahead

Thoughts?

I havent done the fiberglass yet, and I have the same problem. Im pretty sure the solution is to trim the fiberglass as necessary to make it fit, then add fiberglass as necessary to make the perfect fit.

I've avoided doing it because its a lot of work to do it right and I've never worked with fiberglass. But ill have to do it at some point.

Top or bottom fairing on the rudder?

I would NOT trim any of the aluminum wedge or skins. Trim as much of the fiberglass as you need. With fiberglass, it is always super simple to add on more and sand off what you don't need.

EAA has some really good videos on fiberglass and composite techniques. Watch those before you start playing around with the fiberglassing. It will save you lots of time and answer most of your questions.

One thought on the rudder bottom FG, it will need to be trimmed to match the bottom of the Fuse, I got in a hurry and trimmed mine at the flashing mark, mounted and went to town blending a filling and painting before the fit up. well, I got lucky on that one! Whew!