Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
I did a forum search and came up with nothing so I thought I'd ask the experts. I'm about to finish up riveting the rudder trailing edge after the epoxy dries. The construction manual says to back rivet the shop head flip the rudder over and use a mushroom set to finish up the manufactured head. Before I blast ahead on this .016 skin, does it mean to use the back rivet (plunger type) set or mushroom set on the whole trailing edge when back riveting. Also all I have is a 3X gun would you recommend investing in a 2X gun for the tail feathers. Thank's gents..

2X gun

I did my whole airplane with out one, just take your time and you should be fine, just my .02.

Really take your time. I hear that over and over again, even from my wife! Thanks for the reply's gents.

Several builders (myself included) alternated the direction of the rivet heads in the trailing edge, to prevent any curvature that might be induced in the skin by riveting stresses applied only to one side. Might just be wishful thinking, but mine came out looking great!

Just completed mine 2 days ago. After back riveting and forward riveting like the instructions say, I flipped it another time and using the mushroom head, I gave a smal blurp on the shop head.

This way, the head was flatten a bit more and looks better. I'll try to get a picture this afternoon.

3X gun should be fine

If it's setting too fast and you want a little more control, turn down the air pressure a bit. Personally, I find that AD3 rivets set well at about 20 to 30 psi and AD4 at about 30 to 40. If I go to the high side of the range I have to be quicker but I have less chance to screw up (i.e. "walking" the set). Too low is just as bad as too high though and different guns seem to have different sweet ranges, so experiment a bit on some scrap before you try the real thing. You should even have enough leftover TE material that you can try out the double-cs riveting on some scrap.

Here's the pictures, as promised.

Manufactured head :
DSC04449.JPG

Shop head
DSC04455.JPG

I still need to clean up the mess created by the pro-seal but you get the idea.