rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to glue my AEX strip into the trailing edge of the rudder. I'm wondering about how the priming effects this operation. I have primed my interior rudder skins with the Stewart Systems primer. So I have a few questions:

1) Should I prime the AEX strip or is it anodized?
2) Should I sand the area where the AEX strip will attach to the rudder skins? This seems counter to my priming plan but it may be required to get good adhesive of the glue (fuel tank sealant).

As always any thoughts or comments would be very helpful. My feeling orginally was that I should prime the AEX strip, sand the skin mating area lightly, and glue it up.

AEX Proseal

I used a two part epoxy primer on the skins and just prosealed the AEX prior to clecoing them all together. Provided you have good adhesion (try a tape test) on your primer and it is not really shiny (in which case a light Scotchbrite to dull the finish), I don't think any more is required.

Also suggest you get some light aluminum angles, drill them thru the rivet pattern and cleco one on each side of the skin to keep the assembly straight and to squeeze out excess proseal between the clecos.

AEX Proseal

Looks like I primered the rudder and elevator AEX but not the aileron and flap AEX (RV-9A). Not sure why they aren't all the same. Probably because they were done many months apart.

AEX is not anodized as far as I can tell, it is just as it comes out of the extrusion die. However you probably know that aluminum forms an aluminum oxide layer on its surface when it comes in contact with the air. Anodizing is a process that makes this aluminum oxide layer much thicker.

I applied proseal to one side of the AEX and used a homemade roller to even the thickness out. Then lay the AEX on the skin with a couple of clecos, then applied proseal to the other side and rollered the thickness.

Last edited:
I didn't prime

my trailing edges and I prosealed them. I would worry that the proseal wouldn't stick as well to the primed surface