Spindrift

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Just finished my rudder and am struggling to find a place to store it that won't risk damage. My VS is under the bed, but the bracket at the bottom of the rudder is just a little too big to slide under. Any ideas/suggestions on where to stash it?

Thanks,
bill
RV7a

Bill,
After leaving all of my empennage parts outside under a tarp for a year, I brought them inside, and everything is attached to the ceiling of my garage. I had all of the parts wrapped in plastic and sealed, but my dogs got under the cover and clawed through all of the plastic and consequently, rain got in, and I had a little corrosion where the parts were not primed.

Now, everything is held to the ceiling using 4 hooks per piece with cord strung between the hooks (each piece lays on the cord). The HS is up against the back wall of my shop.

Tracy.

Wire through the hinges, hang it like a portrait on your living room wall?

dan said:
Wire through the hinges, hang it like a portrait on your living room wall?
That's my plan. It's art! All emp part will be stored inside the house this way it will benefit from the A/C.

Use Dan's idea - hang it on the wall polish it. Tell visitors it's a mirror from the VanGrunsven school of design.

Do you have a second or third bedroom that is used for the seldom guest? Here's my entire emp in the guest room (right after we moved in)-

1-7-06-009w.jpg

We don't have many guests, but it always brings up questions...

I do have them covered with blankets to keep dust off of them, but it's nice to have them inside and climate controlled...

This is my HS. I did not get to hang the rudder before I left on travel. Plan to do the same thing with the rudder when I get back home.

check here for more info.

FP15102006A00038.jpg

In the rafters

the soon-to-be master bathroom upstairs has exposed beams.. VS/rudder and HS go up there just fine. if you put them in an area where people converse, you will get a strange analog reverb sound effect.

I would caution about storing aluminum parts in a bathroom. The high humidity levels do not agree with proper storage of aluminum.