bolts-up or down

The stop looks like a good idea.

I'm far from an expert, but shouldn't the attachment bolts be installed with the nut on the bottom? Same with the bolt for the rod end bearing? If the nut ever came off the bolt would have a better chance of staying in longer oriented from the top down. I remember my DAR having me change a bolt for that reason in another location. Jack

Jack, you're right -- in general.

However in this particular application, the bolt goes only through the bottom bracket, so there's no way to get it in the other way around..

The only way you could would be to drill through both brackets..

PS.. I haven't installed it yet, but I got this rudder stop from Jeff. it's nicely done.. but as an early customer, I got it at a lower price..

Well its not a "knock off" of anybodys. If there are similar stops out there they must be "knock offs" of mine. ;) It's my own design. It mounts to only the lower hinge bracket and the nuts go between the two brackets.

-Jeff

This probably will start a debate but Aluminum bumping into Aluminum didn't sit well with me. However Delrin against Aluminum is much more forgiving. That was just my thought. Also when you hold that peice of Delrin in your hand, it just looks so nice. ;)

-Jeff

Rudder stop

Looks good but I think it is to close to the pivot point of the rudder and a good gust from a prop blast or jet starting to taxi could put and exesive amount of pressure (leverage) on the hinge attach fitting. Vans stops are
out far enough to absorb some more of that energy.
Ted

When the stop is installed it is far more solid than you would think. All the load is on the spar and near the bearing block, not on a small bracket that attaches to a skin and 2 flanges. The Delrin block actually uses the exact Rudder horn to stop the Rudder as what Vans uses. If you look at the plans, this all makes good sense. After looking an a few well used factory designed stops is why I designed this part. They seem to get all worn and hammered up looking. I hope no one's plane get a blast strong enough to slam the rudder into either type of stop. :)

Advantage Van's

The external rudder stop Van's installs, as I did, makes a dandy anchor for a rudder gust lock. Bend a U-shaped bit of 1/8 music wire, two, that spans between holes drilled in the horn and each rudder stop. Rock solid, easy to install, trivial weight and size. The internal stop that started this thread doesn't facilitate this second purpose.

John Siebold
Boise

Rudder gust lock

Has anybody created a simple rudder gust lock to go inside the plane? I've always used the seatbelts to restrain the stick in a Decath, but would like a way to also lock the rudder on my 4 from inside the plane.

Steve Zicree

RV7ator said:
The external rudder stop Van's installs, as I did, makes a dandy anchor for a rudder gust lock. Bend a U-shaped bit of 1/8 music wire, two, that spans between holes drilled in the horn and each rudder stop. Rock solid, easy to install, trivial weight and size. The internal stop that started this thread doesn't facilitate this second purpose.

John Siebold
Boise

You are correct. The stop is internal the aircraft. It ties the stick the rudder pedals and the lower portion of the panel to lock all control surfaces of the plane at one location. There is no forgetting the rudder lock like folks have been known to do with the old design.

Rudder Stop...

We made one out of 3/4" PVC pipe ... it fits over the the two rudder lower tubes ... and then just fits tight to the main spar. Then the pilot can't get in with it in place and holds the rudder nice and tight.

szicree said:
Anybody out there using one of these deals?

I am now. Well, not 'using', yet (soon, darnit!), but 'have installed'. I like it. The install was cake and the stops are solid.

Despite causing more torsion on the vstab spar than Van's, I've decided that I'm not too concerned with gusty bangs-against-the-stops: the Aerogenic Delrin flexes a very small amount and thus reduces the peak acceleration, thus peak torque. It takes a pretty big hit to get it to flex the spar enough to make a line on a piece of paper with a marker clamped to the back of the spar (yes, I know that's not very quantified). I'm not hitting it any harder. I have not done a similar experiment with Van's.

Anyhoo, it's elegant and solid; I'm happy. Recommend.

Alan,

Nice job on the install!

rudder_stop.jpg

I was thinking of installing the delrin on a chunk of 3/4" x 3/4" angle and bolting the perpendicular side to the tailwheel bolts.

What do others think about this?

:confused: CJ