pilot28906

Well Known Member
After building the rudder stops for my 7 and trying to get them to work I read on this site that the plans are wrong for the 7 and you have to make them longer with a different angle.

Does anyone have the dimensions that will work with a 7?

Thanks for any help.

Merry Christmas.

Here is an overlay picture, sorry I don't have dimensions. The back will extend aft beyond the end of the fuse. Try holding the rudder in max swing and making a cardboard piece for starters.

I made the stop too long(and pointy) and then filed it down with a hand file (in place) To custom fit to the rudder and have a nice square contact area.

IMG_0787.JPG

I can make some dimensions if you need them. Good Luck.

Merry Christmas !!

rudder stops

John,
You'll find that the Vans dimensions are nothing more than guidance and a good starting point. Don't rush into this 'till you have the rudder installed 'cause the rudder stops will have to be sized until they stop the rudder about an inch from contact with the inboard elevators. This may take a lot of iterative shavings of the stop until the rudder swings equal distances (left/right) and is the appropriate distance from contact with the elevator. Definitely do not permanently attach them until you're certain they're good.
Hope this helps.

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa.
2014 donation made

Thanks for the info; a templet may be the way to go. Does the rudder need to be bolted on or will pins in the rod end bearings/hinge work?

Thanks for the info; a templet may be the way to go. Does the rudder need to be bolted on or will pins in the rod end bearings/hinge work?

I made some pins out of welding rod the proper diameter. They worked just fine. Although you will want a long leg to easily insert them -resist - make sure they will not get pinched on full range of swing. If they do the edges will get bent, be overly careful, and avoid that possibility.

I made a template, finalized one side then mirrored it to the other side - allowing extra for trimming to a butt fitted stop and elevator clearance.

Merry Christmas . . .

Is there a problem with the nylon stops? Maybe hitting the spar? I think the plan stops will work great if the plans gave a better starting point for parts that could actually be filed down to work. Mine are too short (hit the spar). I will probably buy more angle and try again.

Unfortunately, VAF has aspects of the rest of the internet meaning one can find the answer one wants whether it is correct or not.

In the case of the internal rudder stop, there are promoters and detractors.

Since there is only anecdotal evidence ("Hey I've been flying X hrs and mine are fine") and the theoretical assessment of a few technical folks in opposition (without test data to confirm), the choice is up to the builder.

First action should be a detailed search on internal rudder stops here at VAF.

The simplest thing to do is to make a new set of rudder stops but leave them longer than the plans, cleco them to the fuselage and then check your rudder travel and file the stops down as needed until it's just right.

I have ordered some additional angle and will fabricate new ones that are longer. Maybe when I get them to work I will post some dimensions that worked for me.

Thanks all.