Anna

Hello!

Some questions to the Stiffners of the Rudder:

cimg42279k1zae53gs.jpg

Do you think we should file the groove out and make a more falling pitch? We want to make sure that we won't get a rated break point or bulges in our Rudder when folding trailing edges.

By the way, in the instruction they say, we will need a "dap of RTV or tank sealant" for folding trailing edges (Section 5G). What sealant should we take or what is RTV? Where and how should we use it?

Thanks for your help!

Best wishes from Bavaria
Anna

Hi Anna,
I was just in Tegernsee about a month and a half ago. Beautiful area of Germany.
You should be removing the notch. I cut my stiffeners from the bottom of one notch to the bottom of the other notch in as straight a line as possible.

The RTV goes on the tips of the stiffeners just before you rivet the rear spar on. Its really more of a blob than a dab. I used regular automotive RTV I picked up at my local hardware store. Its blue and silicone. Many people have omitted the RTV and Vans has no problem with this.

Hi Gil,

thank you for your quick answer. Can you tell us whats the reason for taking an RTV? And where exactly do we have to fill it up on the stiffener tips?

Best wishes,
Anna

It looks like you need to do some more work smoothing out the cut edge to the right of the notch----looks pretty rough about halfway to the end.

Anna,

RTV is silicon sealer. I think it stands for something like Room Temperature Vulcanizing. I used the standard stuff that you can get at your home improvement store. Buy a good grade the has the mold inhibitor in it.

Ray

Tank Sealant vs RTV

My preference is tank sealant over RTV. The main reason is there are lots of different grades of RTV, some of which are not compatible with aluminum, while tank sealant ("Proseal") is compatible with aluminum. If your RTV smells like vinegar when it is curing, it is not compatible with aluminum, that it it will damage the aluminum. If you buy your RTV from an aircraft supply house it is likely to be compatible, if you buy it from a home repair or automotive parts store it is likely to be incompatible.

Hello,

Thank all of you for your helpful answers. The groove is removed and the edges are smoothed. :)
And we will buy a sealant from our plane expert.

Best wishes
Anna