GTechRV

Ready to dimple the stiffeners.....

Seems like when I start to squeeze the dimpler, the dies would distort the radius of the stiffener bend?

Explained another way -- the diameter of the dimple die is too big to fit flat on the stiffener, it looks like the die will "hit" the bend in the stiffener and distort the bend radius wherever I dimple??

The holes were pre-drilled, so *I* didn't drill to close to the 90 degree bend in the stiffeners... I'm pretty sure Vans didn't either... so is there a smaller diameter dimple die?

Or am I sweating the small stuff?

Try grinding a little off the side of your dies. This will allow you to get closer to the radius. You will need this more as the project progresses.

I didn't have a problem with mine, but I didn't check the radius. I did notice that some were not perfectly flat anymore, which means that radius changed. The change being next to the dimple does make sense. I'd just dimple on and flatten it right back.

I trimmed some of the stiffeners by hand and those were not flat either, just bend those back too. A kink would not be acceptable to me, but a little stretch would not be a big deal. I do what they to lay perfectly flat as that's what is keeping my skin flat.

GTechRV said:
......when I start to squeeze the dimpler, the dies would distort the radius of the stiffener bend?......
The dimple die sets I bought (years ago) included female dies that can get up close and personal with radiusses. You can either buy a set OR grind the side off one that you already possess.

canopy16yv3.jpg