AltonD

Well Known Member
Can somebody help me with a question?

It is hard for me to tell from the drawings, does the rudder counterbalance skin overlap underneath or on top of the rudder skin itself, R-901pp

There is a not on the drawings about tapering the skin, but I can't figure out which skin to taper.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alton
Empennage.

Alton--

Assuming that you are building the new style 7 rudder (which is actually a 9 rudder) with the riveted trailing edge...

The rudder skin overlaps the counterbalance skin. Notice on the drawing (#7, at G4 location) that the dotted line (indicating the edge of an underlying skin) is marking the aft edge of the counterbalance skin. The solid line shown is the main skin forward edge.

Happy building.

Last edited:
One thing to add here...I missed the note about bevelling and drilled everything first. If you do it like that, after you bevel it the rivets in the area of the bevel will be out of alignment a bit. It's just a teeny tiny little itty bitty bit, but if you can avoid it. Maybe I'm the only one who experienced this...I dunno.

Speaking of which, how much did everyone else bevel theirs? Mine came out awful...I clearly didn't do it right. Like, how thin did everyone make there's at the tip of the bevel?

Last edited: