Sid Lambert

Well Known Member
I really need to fix the cracks on my rudder. They haven't moved in 750 hours but look bad.

For the guys that have done it... Should I just order a new skin and stiffeners or order all the parts for a complete new rudder.

I'm thinking reskin so I don't have to worry about hinge alignment issues but I also know I'll be down until I get the project done.

I am 50/50 on that one Sid.
I have not done it but the people I know who have chose to build a new rudder. You can build the spar to the point you need to locate and drill the hinge brackets then remove your rudder and align the new spar and brackets just like if they where sitting in a jig.
However, re-skining would not take very long. You could have the skin ready with stiffeners installed and re-use all of the ribs and tips.
Of course, you could do a hybrid, new spar, re-use ribs and tips.....

Well, ok, I am still 50/50 on this one. I see why you are asking the question.:eek:

I suggest you build a new one...

I flew my -4 with cracks in the rudder for a few years and couldn't stand looking at it any longer. I built a new one with the 0.020 skin and it looks and works great. It was not that hard to match the hinge points on the VS. This time, I prosealed and riveted every joint. I had to remove the cracked rudder once to fit the rod ends on the new spar. I put the old rudder back on until I had completed and painted the new one. It went on easy. Now I have a (cracked) spare rudder in the attic just in case...

Good luck,

Dean Pichon