RV8R999

Well Known Member
So I just installed the ground adjustable pedals in my slowbuild -8. I'm looking at them thinking something isn't right...then I realize nothing maintains tension on the cables except when I exert pressure from my feet? Is that correct? Has anyone hooked up some tensioning springs from the pedals to the firewall to both help in centering they rudder with feet off and also to keep tension on the cables? Or am I missing something here...

RUDDER PEDAL SPRINGS

Ken. Keeping a little tension on the rudder cables is a good thing. It also helps reduce fish tailing in rough air and keeps the cables from slaping the airframe when your feet are off the rudder pedals. You'll have to do a little experimenting as to the length and strength of the springs. Good luck

No springs

I remember the exact same thought when I built my 8.
No need to deviate from the plans and you are not missing anything.
Wether you are taxiing or flying the rudder pedals will stay in place feet on or off.

thanks guys! It just seems odd to me to have no tension on the cables. I'll probably put some springs on...

There are thousands of RVs flying with no tension springs on the rudder pedals, and everything is just fine. Adding springs adds weight, cost, complexity, new failure modes, more maintenance headaches, etc.

There are thousands of RVs flying with no tension springs on the rudder pedals, and everything is just fine. Adding springs adds weight, cost, complexity, new failure modes, more maintenance headaches, etc.

Kevin's right on!! My Air Tractor has extremely heavy return springs that you cannot stretch with your bare hands and the right side broke last week. The left pedal immediately went forward and I darn near had cramps on my right foot countering the imbalance. I flew a couple of loads like this until the overnighted springs came in....That's when I thought about my RV with no springs. Don't do it.

Regards,

thanks guys! It just seems odd to me to have no tension on the cables. I'll probably put some springs on...

I'd fly it first, before adding something that doesn't need to be there. The RV rudders become quite stiff in flight, and need nothing to center them. And I've never had them flop around on the ground either.

L.Adamson --- RV6A