panicbutton

I'm New Here
I've got a QB 8. Starting on the fuselage these days. I originally ordered the ground adjustable rudder pedals but would now like them to be flight adjustable. It's gonna cost me $497.71 to buy the new ones from Van's. Has anybody modified the ground adjustable one's to flight adjustable?

I haven't heard of anyone doing that. It's hard to envision how it might work.

$500 is a big incentive to keep what you have. I had he ground adjustable pedals and never found myself wanting for the adjustable ones in 360 hours before it was sold, tho the buyer did reposition them. You can fit you feet underneath the ground adjustable ones if you want to stretch. If you share the plane with a dramatically different sized pilot, then it would make sense, otherwise I'd think hard about staying with want you have.

Cheers,

Ditto what Larry said. I have the adjustable pedals in my -8, but there's so much leg room available that I've never needed to move them in 450 hours. I have them slid all the way back and that's where they stay. If I want to stretch out a bit more, I find it easier to just put my feet under the pedals rather than fiddle with any adjustments.

I'd say keep your fixed pedals and save the 500 bucks.

Thanks for the reply's guys. It's the 4 of us that will eventually be flying the aircraft. Hopefully one setting will be good enough for all of us :)

Credit for the ground pedals

I believe you can get a credit for the parts you are not going to use which can be applied to the cost of the in-flight adjustable pedals. I can't remember but when I bought my kit the in-flight pedals only added $200 something.

There are 4 holes that you will need but if you have a QB they should aready be in the floor and foward firewall. As for me putting feet under the pedals, I added extentions to my padals so that would not be a player for me. I went with the adjustable pedals so on long flights I can push them full forward and have extra leg room. I have some shots of the flight adjustable pedals on my log site, the link is in the sgnature block. I am not flying yet so I can't say how well they work in flight. I have sat in the seat and like the room, I am 6' and will not use the last two holes at all.

Cheers

Trade them

Why not post an ad to trade them for the in flight adjustable. If you ever have to adjust them, it will be like working under the dash of an MG Midget :eek: I'm sure there is someone out there who would want to trade.
Charlie Kuss

$497.71?

......Has anybody modified the ground adjustable one's to flight adjustable?
Yes, I made the change. I originally ordered the ground adjustable rudder pedal option with my standard -8 fuselage kit delivered almost exactly 2 years ago. Later, I decided to upgrade to cockpit adjustable pedals because I like to stretch my legs out sometimes. If memory serves, the only difference between the two types of pedals are items of small hardware. In the case of my standard kit, the weldments (as I recall) are the same. Not sure about QB. Now I know I did not pay anywhere near $497.71 to exchange hardware bags. If your ground adjustable weldments appear identical to these, I suggest you contact Van's for more information.

2llhm4g.jpg

Last edited:
Thank's Rick!

We have just passed the two year mark which means we can't return the ground adjustable ones any more, although still in the bag. I guess the thing to do is to advertise a trade.

Rudder Pedals ...

A question for those who are already flying with adjustable pedals ... if the pedals are set (let's say) somewhere between full forward to mid position, what does one do to secure the toggle handle and cable from roaming the cockpit?

Cheers,

Matt

A question for those who are already flying with adjustable pedals ... if the pedals are set (let's say) somewhere between full forward to mid position, what does one do to secure the toggle handle and cable from roaming the cockpit?

I put a strip of velcro on the floor and covered the handle in velcro.

Paige
RV-8A