jmartinez443

Well Known Member
So I'm starting my QB fuse and figured I'd start from the front and work my way to the back. Digging through my pile of parts I came to find out that my rudder pedal weldments are nowhere to be found. Also, looking through the plans I don't see any drawings referencing the ground adjustable pedals - have they been discontinued? BTW, I got my kit in 1/06 if that makes any difference.

So I'm wondering if that is something that gets shipped with the finishing kit. Can one of you gentlemen (or ladies) enlighten me?

I can't help you with the ground adjustable but I'm pretty sure my in flight adjustable pedals came with the fuse kit. Have you checked your inventory sheet to see if they were shipped with yours?

I just checked Van's site, both types are still listed as options and the fuse order form still has the selection so I would assume that they are both still available and are still shipped with the fuse.

ground adjustable drawings

On my QB fuse the drawings were not in with the rest of the QB drawings they were in the plastic bag with the ground adjustable pedal welded parts.

My newer fuselage and finish kits were delivered about 9-10 months ago. I discovered (during a change of mind upgrade) that the only difference between the ground adjustable and cockpit adjustable rudder petals is a different hardware bag. The weldments are exactly the same regardless of variation. This fact however, does not necessarily apply to older kits and you should check with Van's to determine what is applicable in your situation.

Rick, do you happen to know what the hardware difference is? Any pictures? I ordered the ground adjust pedals with my QB, not thinking much about it. Since I ordered, I noticed that my dad sets the seat in our other plane a little different than I do, and am starting to question my decision. Thanks, Lance

My ground adjustable pedals came (complete) with the the QB fuselage.

I almost finished fitting my "ground adjustable" rudder pedals last night. The ground bit is correct. the adjustable bit IMHO is deeply questionable! I had imagined that i would be able to adjust on the ground with a simple operation that might take maybe 15 minutes. Now that I have them all together I can imagine that it is going to be a at least an hour of finagling, head down in the P1 footwell (or else taking out the baggage compartment floor and even then struggling with the left hand pedal) and needing a supply of cotter pins to safety everything back together whenever you adjust them.:mad:

IF you are absolutely the only person who is ever going to use them I guess that's fine. But I have to say that right now they look like a big mistake to me and I'm now thinking very hard about getting the parts to change it to the in-flight adjustable even tho I don't expect to have to move them very often at all.

If the pedal mount could be secured to the runners with Pip pins or similar and then the rudder cables secured similarly it would be a lot better and more usable system than bolts, castle nuts and cotter pins.

So Lance - thnk hard before starting work, is all I can say!!!

Chris

Rick, do you happen to know what the hardware difference is? Any pictures? I ordered the ground adjust pedals with my QB, not thinking much about it. Since I ordered, I noticed that my dad sets the seat in our other plane a little different than I do, and am starting to question my decision. Thanks, Lance
Lance,
The powder coated welments are common to both configurations and the hardware bits and pieces are the only differences in my newer kit. This however, does NOT apply to older kits. Saying that, it was Paul Dye who convinced me that cockpit adjustable pedals are very convenient......like when you want to stretch your legs out on a long cross country. A pull on the lanyard is all that is required to adjust the pedals in 1" increments. A hinged, spring loaded pin is the operative assembly. Having spent a good deal of time sitting in the cockpit making "airplane noises," I do like being able to adjust and readjust the pedals on a whim, just as I frequently reposition the driver seat in my truck to suit. With that in mind, I don't necessarily subscribe to the view that since I'll be the only one flying, in-flight adjustable pedals are not really needed. I guess strictly speaking that statement is true. Still, I like to keep my options open....but that's just me. I like the fact that when the pedals are fully forward....I can barely reach them. :)

Thanks for the reply, I think I will call vans and see if I can change my order, my QB fuse is supposed to be in in Feb. or March.

I understand how the hydraulic brakes are able to slide, but how do the cables for the rudder allow for the adjustment? It seems like it would cause slack in the cables?

Thanks, Lance

Edit--ok, I think I understand, the cable is attached to the firewall, and runs thru the s in the pedals--

So what parts do you remove and reinstall with the ground adjustable option? Thanks for the tip, Chris, I guess I also thought it was a simple adjustment on the ground, a couple of minutes and away you go.

Last edited:
......I understand how the hydraulic brakes are able to slide, but how do the cables for the rudder allow for the adjustment? It seems like it would cause slack in the cables?.......
Obviously, this early construction photo illustrates an incomplete assembly. The rudder cables terminate into an eyebolt through the firewall. Imagine everything is hooked up and there is no slack in the cables. Then imagine how the "S" works. Van's has some really clever people designing these things.

<snip> Imagine everything is hooked up and there is no slack in the cables. Then imagine how the "S" works. Van's has some really clever people designing these things.

Thats just what I was doing in the first picture you posted. ;) Pretty smart if you ask me.

"S" Tubes

No slight on their designers, but "S" tubes have been the mechanism for adjustable rudder pedals on gliders long before there was an RV. Put the adjustment slide between the left and right pedal and it's what you'll see in most all production sailplane. Now the brake stuff is another thing :)