JimWoo50

Well Known Member
Fellow RVer told me I may want to install rudder pedal return springs or at least drill the holes in the firewall angles near the pax side rudder pedals while the front top skin of my 6 is still off . Has anyone used rudder pedal return springs and are they needed?

I asked the same question!

when my 1st eaa tech guy came to look at my project
he asked the same thing about the rudder return to
center, I posted a message and what I got was its
not needed and could cause problems, it will center
inself moving forward , although I have a nose wheel, I don't know much about tail wheel systems
to say.. the plans don't call for them, and when I asked everyone seemed to agree, not necessary..

Danny..

Right but ...

THey are not needed for flying the plane - you don't even think about it but ... rudder trim is needed or at least STRONGLY desired by this pilot. It is worth looking at some of the possibilities including variable differential spring tension while you have such free access.

Bob Axsom

I agree with Bob and add this: I live in the desert where the average daily wind is 25 knots, and I have return springs on my RV-6A. I don't even feel them when flying, and they have never given me a problem. They keep the rudder from banging on the stops when winds are light (<15 knots) and the plane is parked out on the ramp or in front of the hangar for a short time. Of course, when the wind is howling, I put on the rudder lock or put the plane inside ;) Rosie

Corpus Christi wind!

Darn, who were those guys that told me not to do
it when I was installing the pedals, rosie do you have a picture of where the springs are connected?
I hate crawling under there and I am 5'6 160lb
can't imagine a big guy doing it.. I have spent way too much time under there :) (should have done all the wiring before the the foreskin) and the fuel valve keeps stabing me in the back,side and guts.. hope its all worth it.. btw I will be going to oshkosh for the very 1st time this year, hope to meet some of you..
I will be the guy with the <s> on my shirt

Danny..

another springer

I was advised by several of the 34 RV owners where I live to install a light spring on one left and one right rudder pedal to reduce the amount of "banging" that occurs. I did it during construction, it was easy and I'm happy with the results.

rkb

springs

The inspector who did my final wanted to know where my " return springs" were.....After some discussion we decided that they were Not needed for taxiing or flight and that has been my experience...........but from what I am reading they must help while sitting on the ramp when the wind is blowing....

Is this for taildraggers too?

I've flown a handful of different RV-6A's and 9A's, all nose rollers. Some had return springs and some didn't. I always wished my 9A had had springs to keep the rudder from beating itself up when parked on a windy ramp, without making me resort to putting in the gust lock.

Now I'm building a -7 taildragger and reading this thread, wondering if I ought to consider putting in return springs while I still have good access to that area. Is this worth considering for the tailwheel RV's too, or do the tailwheel springs (or fancy steering link) do a good enough job of keeping the rudder from banging around on the ground?

thanks,
mcb

Last edited:
You don't need pictures and....here's some MORE info

I put them on my RV6 same as Rosie did....matter of fact he may have given me the idea way back when. I'm REALLY glad I had them.

Just get an 'assortment' of springs from your local hardware...I like the ones with the big 'J' hook open end. You can even cut and rebend the 'J' to get the proper length. One end goes over the gusset on the pedal for the cable bolt and the other end hooks to a 3/32 hole you drill in the firewall angle stiffener directly forward of the rudder pedal gusset. The 'closed' end springs are 'ok' but are a little more difficult to work with. It's that simple...no pics required.

I used springs on both sides of my RV6....the px seat right pedal and the pilot seat left pedal.

You can experiment with the spring tension to get the 'feel' you want. Once flying....I ADDED a smaller diameter spring INSIDE of the spring on the right side. This put a little more 'tension' on the right rudder to keep the ball smack dab in the middle...no trim tab on my bird.

As Rosie mentioned.....the springs keep your rudder from flapping and banging all over the place when the wind is blowing on the ramp as well. They also keep the cables taught at all times....no saggie cables hang out on the flight line either.

As far as I'm concerned.....don't leave home without 'em :D !!

Last edited:
mburch said:
...Now I'm building a -7 taildragger and reading this thread, wondering if I ought to consider putting in return springs while I still have good access to that area. Is this worth considering for the tailwheel RV's too, or do the tailwheel springs (or fancy steering link) do a good enough job of keeping the rudder from banging around on the ground?

thanks,
mcb
The steering springs do a good job of keeping the rudder from banging, until the wind gets so strong that it blows the airplane sideways and the tailwheel steering comes unlocked. In strong wind I just put a lock on the rudder.

I am amazed how many tri-gear RV owners let their rudders bang and bang.

Like others have said, not required, but I like mine. I have one spring on the left side and two on the right side and need no tab on the rudder. Had to make several trips down to the local aircraft hardware supply store (Ace :) ) in order to get the spring tension just right. Picture follows. There is an extra steel tab on the clevis bolt, with a hole in it for the spring. The front end of the spring goes into a hole drilled in the heavy duty angle piece on the firewall. This is on an RV-6, early vintage slow build. Fab everything with down the road tweaking in mind - it is a pain to get down there as the years pass!

127073na8.jpg

Dutch Roll

I don't have the springs on my RV-6A and do not need them for safe flight and landing. That being said I have noticed that in even minor turbulence I get a noticeable Dutch roll. It is dampened a lot if I place my feet on the rudder pedals and hold them steady (ball centered). I am wondering if the springs may not help reduce the Dutch roll. I probably would install them as they won't hurt and may help this DR tendancy on the 6's.