todehnal

Well Known Member
Both of my rudder pedals came with the powder coating voids in the wrong place. They missed the bearing block location by a full inch on what Van calls "the short end". I guess I will have to scrape it off and then paint the old location. The guy who taped mine either needs new glasses, or a new ruler.

Two Questions:
What's the best way to get the powder coating off, without messing up the bearing surface.
Has anyone found a good rattle can match for Van's powder coat color.

Thanks guys

Tom

Van's Touchup

Van's sells a touch up bottle that is a perfect match. Also I have heard of people ordering a can from Cardinal along with some spray cans. Sorry I don't know the number for the color, someone should chime in with the information though.

Rudder Pedal hardware problem

That sounds like a seriously difficult fix with potential for poor results. Are you sure you don't want to UPS that hardware back to Van's for replacement? There is no hurry on installing the pedals anyway, you should wait until after the wiring is in.

Tony

mine came the same way. I just used some strips of sand paper and went at it like I was shining shoes. Don't even worry about touch up paint you cant even see it.

Cardinal paint

The color is GR-230. It is made by Cardinal Industrial Finishes. It can be ordered in several different types of paint. The spray type is A-4108. I bought a couple of cans from them when I was dropping daughter off at college last August. Normally they have a 6 can minimum at about $6/can. When I was there they only had 2 cans of the GR-230 in stock that day so I only had to buy the 2. It is of a much higher quality than the usual rattle can paints. You can also buy quarts of the same color in 2 part acrylics but the cost is a lot higher, especially with hazmat shipping.

Good Results As Well

mine came the same way. I just used some strips of sand paper and went at it like I was shining shoes. Don't even worry about touch up paint you cant even see it.

Thanks for passing on the results of your experience. I did exactly the same thing and my turned out great too.

Tom

New parts on the way.

Found I had the same problem. Called Van's this morning for their advice and they volunteered to send me new parts right away. I am to return the old ones. That's good support!