How should I determine where to place the rudder pedals? OK, I know, just in front of my feet, but there is a wide range of possible positions. FWIW, I am 6' 2", and wear a 32 inch inseam.

The manual mentions drilling alternate spacing holes. What range have my fellow builders found appropriate?

Jim

Sit in it

If you can, sit in it with some cushions to approximate what you will really have. See how bent you like your legs. Leave room for feet-flat for XC. You can vary the position of the rudder bar fore-aft a little by changing the angle of the bar as it descends from the top; that comes when you make the links between the bars and the cables.

Your inseam seems short to me since it's the same as mine and I am only 5' 11.8".

You can always move it later, but it will be a big pain to do it once you rivet on the front top deck.
h

Get your seats now

I highly recommend getting your actual seat cushions on-hand now rather than later. Somebody else suggested just approximating the height with cushions. That's what I did, and it was pretty off. I waited until the last minute to get my actual upholstered seat cushions from Classic Aero Designs, and I don't quite know why I waited so long.

I borrowed a set of seat cushions from another guy, and mine ended up being very different.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Do it with the real thing and you won't have any problems with fit.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (715 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

If you're really sensitive to positioning, don't just use the seat cores to gauge your set-up. Have them upholstered. I flew atop Oregon Aero cores protected by pillow cases. Once upholstered, the foam was constrained, seating was firmer. The effect was almost like moving the backrest support forward a notch, and I can now see over the cowl. As it is, pedals are max forward and backrest max rearward, and I'm 71".

At your height, I recommend placing the pedals as far forward as possible, with perhaps a set of holes at half and one pitch aft, JIC. Also, my wife would dearly love for the co-pilot's pedals to go away, which tells you that as far forward as possible isn't beyond reach for a a 67" person.

Then there's the matter of what angle to set the brake pedals to accommodate your particular ankle flex. I tipped mine forward ten degrees, and it seems to work well.

John Siebold

Last edited: