PeteP

Well Known Member
Curious to know how far aft you can put the rudder pedals. At 5"3" of altitude and an inseam of about 24" I had to fly my Cessna AgTruck and my Trush with a cushion behind my back for 20 years. Problem with the 9A appears to be the location of the stick really looks like it will make a cushion behind the back about impossible. I have not set the rudder pedal location yet as I am about ready to install the rudder and find out how things will fit? Any other low altitude pilots or copilots out there with experience in this area? :D

Pete

Put it as close as you can according to the plans. There will be hinged positions on seatback you can use the first one. Then there are doublers and cushions from interior guys you will find your sweet spot easy.

I see you are in VA what airport? We were over your woods today.

Vlad,

You were almost in my back door. I am based out of KCPK just over the line in VA. If you get down this way again stop in and say hello to the members of the Dismal Swamp Rat Squadron, a loose collection of RV guys and other assorted homebuilts.

Pete

I didn't know that. Otherwise we would stop by. There were some cool activities by you today.

Now back to the rudder pedals :)

Pete,

The biggest limiting factor is the center support.

200902111435_21_1_m.jpg

I suppose you could try and lengthen the support, however the distance between the fuselage longerons widens as you move aft. The rudder pedal assemblies may need to be made wider in order to safely rotate in the blocks. If you did increase their width, then they would probably need to be installed prior to final assembly of the fuselage cabin.

Rudder cables

I started studying the cables last weekend and they may be an issue but I can work around that. The real limitation is the position of the vertical supports that have the first snap bushing verse the rudder pedal travel. Looks like it might work out but will not know till latter for sure.

Thanks,
Pete

I am 5'-5" and drilled three sets of holes for the rudder pedals and started with them at the closest set. It put the pedals too straight up and down when connected to the stock cables so I moved them back one set of holes. The top mount is not all that critical as the cables determine where the bottom of the pedals are. That said, I have no problem getting full travel on the pedals and I am in the second hinge point on the seat back. Just make the cable connectors as short as possible and use the first set of seat back hinges and you will be fine. Abby from Flightlines made my seats with a 2 inch bolster and I sit just about perfect with good head room clearance and good visibility. I do wish my cables had been a couple of inches shorter though.