IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'm fitting my rudder pedals now. How much friction should I expect between the pedal weldments and the bearing blocks? Should the pedals swing freely or require some force to move? Right now, they are tight enough that they will hold any position.

What is the procedure to reduce friction (if required)? I sanded the ends of the weldments smooth already. I don't really want to attach the nicely machined bearing blocks...

I searched the archives and couldn't find anyone else with this question.. am I worried about nothing?

I remember reading several posts on this topic. Perhaps they were in the Matronics archives. Anyway I believe you need to eliminate the friction so that the pedals move freely, otherwise the brakes will stick. I remember spending a lot of time grinding the weldments.

I think you're talking about the rudder weldment. Mine hold in any position but with very light force will move. This seems about right to me. Break peddels probably ought to move freely though.

I'm fitting my rudder pedals now. How much friction should I expect between the pedal weldments and the bearing blocks? Should the pedals swing freely or require some force to move? Right now, they are tight enough that they will hold any position.

What is the procedure to reduce friction (if required)? I sanded the ends of the weldments smooth already. I don't really want to attach the nicely machined bearing blocks...

I searched the archives and couldn't find anyone else with this question.. am I worried about nothing?

A little resistance is fine. I don't think the pedals in my airplane swing freely even after 530+ hours. Not that it takes a lot of breakout force either, but a little friction ain't a bad thing in this case.

If your pedals are *really* sticky, try polishing the ends of the shafts a bit with some of the fine grade scotchbrite. I'm sure that would knock down any little surface irregularities and would free things up.

Friction is good!

I would think that you would want some friction. If you can move them and they stay where they are, I would leave them that way. They will loosen up with use. I really don't think that you want to grind out the mounting holes. Keep the slack out if possible. I never noticed the stiffness once I got it together.

Now, if you are talking about the brake pedals that are mounted inside the rudder pedals, that is a different story. They need to move freely with miminal or no resistance.

Just my thoughts, YMMV