gblwy

Well Known Member
Help?

I tried to rivet the rudder spar caps, the top rudder rib and the rudder spar together. I did the two outside rivets first, had difficulty positioning the squeezer, and ended up with two bad rivets. Worse, I couldn't figure how to mount the assembly in the pillar drill, so attempted to drill out the rivets freehand. Ended up enlarging the holes.

Q1 - Which side should the rivets go in from? Maybe I was trying to do it the wrong way around.

Q2 - Any pointers on how to drill our rivets freehand?

Thanks...Keith_the_novice

I'll try #2

Not that I have any experience of course, but, center punch the rivet. Drill with a much smaller bit first. If you can see the hole is off slightly, you can redirect the drill toward the center when you go to the next bigger size drill bit. Practice on a couple with scrap pieces. You'll get better.

John Bender

Thanks both for the quick response. I hope to not have to get much better at drilling out rivets, but I have no expectation that this will be the case.

I put the shop head on the side you indicated. I hoped you were going to say otherwise. ;-) The die on the Avery squeezer seems too large to fit "square" behind the rib without distorting it.

I guess patience is a virtue. Now I'll join the queue of those looking for replacement parts...

Rivet Drilling happens

I drill out any rivet that doesn't pass spec and any that bother me to look at. I don't want to remember the build as being all full of flub ups. I read in Van's literature somewhere that you should drill only through the head, then insert a tight fitting punch in the hole and break off the rivet head. I have a 1/8" Craftsman punch with a nice square end that fits the #30 hole perfectly. This seems to work great. The drill does not get into the material being riveted if you are careful. Once the head is broken off, you can see the hole clearly and either punch out the remaining rivet part, or if necessary drill with a drill one size smaller centered in the hole.

Tony

Hi Keith,
Fear not. In no time at all you'll be frighteningly good at drilling out rivets. I agree with above ...try a #40 drill first in a 1/8" rivet, then enlarge. It's also very important to not drill the entire rivet out. Just like it said above, drill thru the rivet head and then use a pin punch or small nail set to snap the head off. The remaining rivet body then can be tapped (punched) out. I can drill 'em out now almost as fast as I can set 'em. :eek:)

I have found that the best way to make a perfect sized "punch" to use to break off the head after drilling is to simply grind off square the shank end of the drill you used to drill the hole in the rivet head - always results in a perfect fit! Not that I have had to drill out very many rivets of course! :rolleyes:

I'm working on attaching the the rudder ribs. So what is the answer to making the rivet set straight. The Avery 3" yoke definitely hits the web of the rib causing the rivets to bend over. I tried bending the rib back a little to allow more room for the yoke and it seems to help some, but I'm not getting a good set on the shop head. The manufactured is on the hinge side. Has anyone got any suggestions?
Sure have gotten good at drilling out rivets. I start with a #40 then go to the #30. Pop the head with a 1/8" punch, carefully drill out the rest.

I'm working on attaching the the rudder ribs. So what is the answer to making the rivet set straight. The Avery 3" yoke definitely hits the web of the rib causing the rivets to bend over.

You must be referring to attaching the rudder rib to the rudder horn. Have you tried reversing the flat set dies in the squeezer? I have a thick one and a thin one. Or tried reversing the position of the squeezer. Try going at it from the other side.

Hi

I experienced the same problems as mentioned here in terms of setting rivets to the hinge and spar.

I found that with some patience and care I managed to get them in but it was a bit problematic.

I have got fairly good on drilling rivets out and so far have not had any damaged holes. I got some good advise to use a cordless drill rather than the pneumatic one to drill rivers out as you have more control on the speed.