yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried the Gustof Gust Lock (Avery Tools) on a -12? I've already seen the need for a rudder lock as well as carrying chocks with me since there's no parking brake.

Thanks

Wayne 120241

Has anyone tried the Gustof Gust Lock (Avery Tools) on a -12? I've already seen the need for a rudder lock as well as carrying chocks with me since there's no parking brake.

Thanks

Wayne 120241

One was used in N412RV (Van's red prototype) for a while, but it required modification (had to be shortened). It has been inherited by Mitch Lock for N912VA.

N412RV has been using a prototype of a light weight tow bar that is designed to also be used as a rudder gust lock. Made of anodized aluminum. Weighs just over 1 pound.

I don't know when it will be available (maybe about the first of the year...but just a guess).

I don't know what it will cost but it should be a good value considering the low weight and multiple uses.

For a little (lot) less money...

...you can easily build it yourself :).

918318145_LpnUo-M.jpg

918132421_FTUjD-M.jpg

Made from PVC from the local ace hardware.
Anything more elaborate is overkill on the 12, IMHO ;).

Tony

patented that one, Tony! Looks like a winner to me. Headed for the hardware store.

Wayne 120241

It's not my original idea. I saw it in the Van's Airforce forums somewhere and adapted it to the -12. I think it was in the RV-7 forums. I get a lot of ideas from the other forums as well as this one. (you can probably tell I don't have a day job). I had posted my pics before and gave credit to the -7 guy, but have now forgotten who it was.

Tony

It's not my original idea. I saw it in the Van's Airforce forums somewhere and adapted it to the -12. I think it was in the RV-7 forums. I get a lot of ideas from the other forums as well as this one. (you can probably tell I don't have a day job). I had posted my pics before and gave credit to the -7 guy, but have now forgotten who it was.

Tony

Hey Tony, You're a smart guy and willing to steal a good idea. Find something to extend the rudder pedal/brake pedal for people (my wife) too short to reach. If you simply move them foward the stick gets in the way...the pedals have to come to the pilot. I will be glad to heap praise upon you if you find something!