MichRV10

Well Known Member
What ideas have everyone come up with for a rudder lock for our 10's?
I tried a soft rubber tube in the rudder to stop any movement, but a gust of wind showed it didn't work.

3135F

Rudder Locks

There is a rudder lock that someone is selling.

http://www.rvtraining.com/html/gust_lock.html

Tim Olsen has one in his plane but I think he modified it slightly so that it pushed against the rudder pedal and not the master cylinders.

I will take a picture of the one I made next time I am at the hanger. It works perfect. I bought a small expandable roller rod and added some PVC fittings. It wedges between the pedals and the floor beneath the stick and locks in. I think I spent $25.00 on parts and I made it 15 minutes before a weekend trip. I will sell my prototype for 3 easy payments of $19.95. haha

For the ailerons and elevator I use the seat belt with a couple of wraps then lock it in.

I copied Checca's

n468ac said:
I copied the Checcas' design except did not bother to put in a hinge. I find I can just wiggle it a little and it snaps on. It's an excellent design - thanks, guys! - and has the outstanding advantages of 1] strength and 2] it absolutely cannot be forgotten before flight. You can also put it on before you get out on a windy day, thus covering a small window of risk.

hevansrv7a said:
I copied the Checcas' design except did not bother to put in a hinge. I find I can just wiggle it a little and it snaps on. It's an excellent design - thanks, guys! - and has the outstanding advantages of 1] strength and 2] it absolutely cannot be forgotten before flight. You can also put it on before you get out on a windy day, thus covering a small window of risk.

thanks for the compliments :)

Rudder Pedal Lock

Here are the shots of the rudder lock that I made. I works great.

114616391-L.jpg

Like I said before, it is a small paint roller handle that is expandable and locks with a twist.