aparchment

Well Known Member
Hey folks. Could someone tell me how they installed the top pop rivet on the leading edge of the rudder. My pop riveter doesn't fit there and allow the rivet to stay flush with the leading edge surface.

Thanks in advance.

Antony

aparchment said:
Hey folks. Could someone tell me how they installed the top pop rivet on the leading edge of the rudder. My pop riveter doesn't fit there and allow the rivet to stay flush with the leading edge surface.

Thanks in advance.

Antony

Two ways to do it:

1) Grind some off your nice pop riveter

2) buy the cheapy, red pop rivetter from Harbor Freight. It fits in there without modification. At least it did for me...

http://www.ballofshame.com/flying/rv-7/buildLog/20060109.php

As always, YMMV...

I made a small tool that helps in some cases like this. I took a piece of 0.125" aluminum stock, drilled a hole through it the size of a pop rivet nail. Then I ground the piece to make it wedge shaped.

To use it, I bend the pop rivet nail at the rivet head a bit, slip the wedge over the nail, then put the riveter on the nail. The wedge allows the pop riveter to be at an angle the the rivet hole, but still keeps a flat face against the rivet head so it forms properly. Works great in many places where the rivet hole is close to something else.