Snowy RA

I'm New Here
The holes on my rudder horn where the clips are attached to the chain and spring for tail wheel steering are badly worn, the right side much more than the left. Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem short of replacing the rudder horn.

Hi Ray...

You can also enlarge the holes and press in a bronze insert that can be replaced. Air Tractor uses them in the trim tabs.

Best,

Thanks Frank & Pierre, The clip on the rudder horn has cut into the horn to the point that there is only about 3/16" of metal at the rear. Will the eye bolt or brass insert work in this case or would a metal plate riveted to the horn and a new hole drilled be a better option.

This is from my web site:

... The other thing to notice is the Eye-bolts used to attach the steering spring. A similar arrangement is put on the bottom of the rudder horn. The advantage here is the spring is almost horizontal and should be out of the way of the rudder bottom. In addition, when the spring starts wearing away at the attachment points, the Eye-bolts are easy to replace. This was not my idea, it was in one of the OLD RVaitors, which are good reading. (Parts List, four of each are required: Eye Bold Drilled AN42B-5, Cable Shackles AN115-21, Bolt AN3-6 (Drilled shank), Washer AN960-10, Castle nut AN310-3, Cotter pins as needed)

The wheel bolt is long and bushed out on purpose so a Cessna tow bar may be used on the tail wheel. (The white bag is 20 lbs of OO buck shot. It is helping hold the tail down with the engine mounted and no tail or wings installed.) (5/27/07)