I'm a first time builder trying to figure out how to physically rivet the R405PD rudder horn to the R902 spar and R606 reinforcement plate. The rivets have to be set through the R710 horn brace lightning hole. I'm trying to figure out the best way/tool to do that. Maybe put the rivet shop head on the forward end of the part and use some kind of goose neck rivet set to access the manufactured rivet head thru the lightning hole?

P.S. I'm building an RV9 rudder for a RV7 per the SB.

IIRC, on the -8 rudder, the rudder horn is riveted to the spar with the R-710 brace removed, so there's no access difficulty there. The R-710 brace is then slid into position and riveted to the horn and root rib web. The only rivets that are really difficult are where the brace rivets in assembly with the root rib flange and skin. In that spot, you can either figure out a way to buck rivets inside the brace, or use the optional CS4-4 blind rivets. I chose to do the latter on my rudder.

IIRC, on the -8 rudder, the rudder horn is riveted to the spar with the R-710 brace removed, so there's no access difficulty there. The R-710 brace is then slid into position and riveted to the horn and root rib web. The only rivets that are really difficult are where the brace rivets in assembly with the root rib flange and skin. In that spot, you can either figure out a way to buck rivets inside the brace, or use the optional CS4-4 blind rivets. I chose to do the latter on my rudder.

My -7 rudder plans have a similar provision. Looks to me like you can rivet things together without the brace, then put brace on. The joint between R-710 and R-405PD calls for: AN470AD4-6 (OPTIONAL LP4-3). I'm assuming the option is for the sequence I'm planning to follow.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I didn't pick up on the fact that you could rivet the horn in place (with the shim) and then add the horn brace. :)