apatti

Well Known Member
All,

The plans give very specific dimensions (in 64ths) for how far the rod ends in the rudder should be from the front of the rudder spar. I assumed these would be starting points and some minor adjustments would be necessary. However, when I set the top and the middle rod end into the vertical stab I find the lower rod end off by quite a bit. Probably on the order of a quarter to a half inch. I am not even sure I could screw the bottom rod end in far enough to work.

Also, I notice that the distance between the rudder and the vert stab is getting wider as I measure from the top down. This is true even between the top and the middle rod end. I wouldn't think that should be the case, although I don't know for sure.

So, the question... Did you guys find the dimensions given on Drawing 7 for the distance between the rod ends and the front spar of 51/64, 59/64, and 1 and 3/64 to be somewhat close? Did any of you have to make major adjustments here?

Thanks,

make sure the vertical stab spar is straight

It is possible when attaching the front spar of the vertical stab to the horizontal stab to impart a bend in the vertical stab spar with the result that the hinge line is not straight (it is quite flexible).
First step should be to check with a straightedge or plumb line that the heim joint mounting holes are exactly in alignment and that no bend has been introduced to the spar.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, ON
RV6A finishing kit

Had the same thing

Tony,
Putting the rudder in place I found the same as you. When I made and installed the rudder stops per Van's plans and adjusted the rod ends per Van's plans, the rudder would swing more than 40 degrees. As I adjusted the two lower rod ends to near the same dimension as the top, I got the 35 degree rudder swing called for. The VS to rudder gap went from widening to even after the lower rod end was almost bottomed out.
As usual when something doesn't fit per plans I checked everything. The reinforcement plate was on the correct side. What could be wrong. On Monday I called Van's and was told the fractional dimensions were just a starting point. Not much of an answer.
I think you will see the solution when trying to limit the rudder swing to 35 degrees.