ka6dan

Well Known Member
OK I'm getting closer. Beginning to look like an airplane. Here's the problem. Rudder fit up. Can't get a clear swing. Looked like I was close but a trial fit the fiberglass bottom not good. Tight to no fit (space between the rudder and fuselage). It is worst at the bottom, mostly on the left side but not good on the right. Can't get the swing per plans. The back edges of the vert stab and the aft end of the fuselage line up. The vertical Stab was my best build at that stage and I built the rudder twice. The second looked very good to me at the time. Haven't seen any problems at this phase in my favorite blogs. Can anyone help?

rudder problem

Ok maybe I can help, not sure. When you mounted your vertical stab, did you put a straight edge on the aft most edge of the hinge mounts? If not you may have to re-drill the base of the VS where it attaches to the offset mounting bracket to the top deck. If the hinge brackets are all even, I can?t see how you could go wrong with the called out length of the adjustable ball joint hinge pins on the rudder. All hinge pins should be the same length off the face of your vertical support of the rudder. Not sure if this helps or not.

You may, or may not know that ...

... the primary point of fitment for the rudder is the horizontal joint at the top of the VS. It's a pretty close fit there; one you get the top of the rudder c'weight and the top of the VS perfectly parallel, it leaves little addtitional adjusting for rudder position .... i.e. beyond the hinge alignment mentioned above. If you already knew this, and I misunderstood the question .... then "Never mind." :eek:

same problem - what worked for me

try putting the most fwd rudder "hang down" pieces on the outside of the fiberglass fwd rudder cap. you may need to slightly contour the fiberglass fairing fwd portion with a heat gun. I don't have a picture handy but can get you one. I think it looks great.

added pics

100_5033.jpg

100_5036.jpg

Last edited: