xblueh2o

Well Known Member
Posting here in the general forum since I suspect the answer to this question applies to all models. I tried searching but didn't really see it answered anywhere.

I am building an 8 with a QB fuselage and among the many tasks the QB factory has accomplished for me is the installation and sizing of my rudder stops. I am hanging and connecting my rudder. Using a protractor I find that the rudder deflection falls within the acceptable range from chapter 15 and it does not exceed the minimum distance from the elevators when the rudder is fully deflected as shown in RV-8 DWG 85.

The issue is, I get uneven deflection from one side to the other.
The rudder deflects 3 degrees more to the right than it does to the left.

The question is, how critical is it to have equal deflection side to side.

That's a great question!

I think the real answer is that you'd prefer to have equal travel on both.

Still, on my non-RV, right rudder travel limits the amount of left crosswind I can take off in; since torque on take-off uses a significant amount of right rudder authority I sometimes run out of right rudder in a left crosswind.

I've never run out of rudder either way on landing, there's more than enough rudder control power (remember, it's not an RV) to handle any crosswind that my ability to tolerate adrenaline lets me attempt.

Bottom line for me is that if the limits can't be the same, have more rudder travel on the right.

Dave

Posting here in the general forum since I suspect the answer to this question applies to all models. I tried searching but didn't really see it answered anywhere.

I am building an 8 with a QB fuselage and among the many tasks the QB factory has accomplished for me is the installation and sizing of my rudder stops. I am hanging and connecting my rudder. Using a protractor I find that the rudder deflection falls within the acceptable range from chapter 15 and it does not exceed the minimum distance from the elevators when the rudder is fully deflected as shown in RV-8 DWG 85.

The issue is, I get uneven deflection from one side to the other.
The rudder deflects 3 degrees more to the right than it does to the left.

The question is, how critical is it to have equal deflection side to side.

Chapter 15 answered your question. It will work just fine. You will never notice the 3*. If you want them the exact same, then you can grind a little off till it is perfect. The QB builders never installed the rudder. So it's up to you to get it right on if wanted.