dweyant

Well Known Member
It looks like I made another mistake...

When I went to countersink the holes that the bolts go through that hold the lead counterweight, I somehow managed to oversize the holes a bit.

The bolt will still sit in the hold, but I'm a little concerned that the bolts could pull through the hole at some point and cause the lead weight to come lose.

Do I need to replace the part(s), or is there something I can do to save the piece?

-Dan

Do you have photos of the holes? How much larger than specified are they? Also, they'll expand a bit when dimpled.

Try drilling the proper sized hole in a similar sheet of aluminum, dimple it for the same screw size and see if the holes are the same as the ones in your rudder counterweight section.

It looks like I made another mistake...

When I went to countersink the holes that the bolts go through that hold the lead counterweight, I somehow managed to oversize the holes a bit.

The bolt will still sit in the hold, but I'm a little concerned that the bolts could pull through the hole at some point and cause the lead weight to come lose.

Do I need to replace the part(s), or is there something I can do to save the piece?

-Dan

Another option is to use a polysulfide sealant like marine bedding compound to seat the lead weight when you bolt it together. It will be locked in.

3m 5200 is permanent. I used it a number of places to seal things during the build. One example is the foam rib in the trim tab. Worked great. I was at the stage where I did not yet have pro seal around to mix up as the wings came along later.